Cheap budget laptop for light gaming/streaming videos

crimsonparadox

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I'm mainly using it to hook up to the tv so i can watch and stream things from the internet and watch movies on the harddrive. Budget preferred under $500 but willing to go a bit higher. I don't need a really high end graphics card as I have a desktop computer. I just want something that I can play games on occasionally when friends come over (rocket league, minecraft, left4dead2, random light steam games that aren't too graphically challenging). I had a lenovoS210 that crapped out on me after 2 years....so I don't want to spend too much money on something that will break.

Prefer Amazon, as I have prime shipping, but will be willing to look else where (I'm US based).

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
At that price range, look for an AMD A8 or A10-based computer. Decent built-in graphics card and should handle light gaming and surfing well. Dell has several, as do Toshiba and Lenovo.

The i5/i7 Broadwell chips have decent built-in graphics, but most will probably be out of that price range. Intel HD 4000 graphics can't handle much.

crimsonparadox

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions, will take a look at the two you suggested and decide between the two! Is there one that you think is better? Or are both relatively the same?

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
The second one has a dedicated GPU and a 1080p screen, so it's better for more intensive graphics tasks like gaming or movie watching on the native screen for example. The Toshiba is good too, but has a 768p screen and a DVD player. If you plan on only using an external monitor it doesn't really matter. This model is similar to the Toshiba, but has 4GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD @ $389: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232794&cm_re=i5_5200u-_-34-232-794-_-Product If you plan on gaming though, I really recommend the Acer Jaguarskx posted.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
saidrafly Laptop General Discussion 0
firstlov Laptop General Discussion 3
C Laptop General Discussion 2
S Laptop General Discussion 10
A Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 2
sorryboi Laptop General Discussion 9
Corey Martin Laptop General Discussion 2
J Laptop General Discussion 2
troy1960 Laptop General Discussion 2