Cheap budget laptop for light gaming/streaming videos

crimsonparadox

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I'm mainly using it to hook up to the tv so i can watch and stream things from the internet and watch movies on the harddrive. Budget preferred under $500 but willing to go a bit higher. I don't need a really high end graphics card as I have a desktop computer. I just want something that I can play games on occasionally when friends come over (rocket league, minecraft, left4dead2, random light steam games that aren't too graphically challenging). I had a lenovoS210 that crapped out on me after 2 years....so I don't want to spend too much money on something that will break.

Prefer Amazon, as I have prime shipping, but will be willing to look else where (I'm US based).

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
At that price range, look for an AMD A8 or A10-based computer. Decent built-in graphics card and should handle light gaming and surfing well. Dell has several, as do Toshiba and Lenovo.

The i5/i7 Broadwell chips have decent built-in graphics, but most will probably be out of that price range. Intel HD 4000 graphics can't handle much.

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
The second one has a dedicated GPU and a 1080p screen, so it's better for more intensive graphics tasks like gaming or movie watching on the native screen for example. The Toshiba is good too, but has a 768p screen and a DVD player. If you plan on only using an external monitor it doesn't really matter. This model is similar to the Toshiba, but has 4GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD @ $389: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232794&cm_re=i5_5200u-_-34-232-794-_-Product If you plan on gaming though, I really recommend the Acer Jaguarskx posted.