Cheap Laptop Recommendations?

liquidmountain

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm planning to build a gaming PC some time early next year, but would also like a laptop (or even one of those windows 8 tablet pcs) to replace my current, mostly broken Vaio. I'm hoping to use it for school/university/writing.

I need one which is quite cheap (ideally below $400), very light and portable, and with support for word processing like Word or Google Docs. A Chromebook seems like a good solution, but then I don't know which one to pick.

Thanks in advance!

liquidmountain

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
That's right, I won't need anything with decent graphics for the laptop.

The HP seems like an excellent solution, and it has AMD like i7baby suggested, but I'll keep the thread running a little longer in case there are any others.

EDIT: having read some of the customer reviews for the HP, I noticed it apparently has a very short battery life. Are there any alternatives which have a longer battery life, and also run fairly quietly and don't get too hot?

liquidmountain

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

I read through the specs and a few reviews, and the Asus seems very good for my purposes. It has a decent screen, doesn't heat up, is lighter than competitors and around my price range. Thanks!