Cheap Laptop Suggestions please

jmsellars1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
1. What is your budget?

No strict budget as such, i would just like to keep the cost as low as possible. I wouldn't like to spend more than £400 ($650).

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

The main use is for portable audio recording so i wouldn't like anything bigger then 15.6''

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Obviously higher resolution is preferred but it really doesn't matter

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I would like something somewhere in between. I would like to be able to get 2-3 hours out of the battery and for it to be 15.6'' or less but to have some relatively basic gaming capability.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Just a few hours would be great but i would consider something with less.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

The most demanding game i would like to play is Heroes of Newerth, i would like medium/high settings but would definitely consider something that would run it with lower settings. The suggested system specs are as follows:

Minimum:
Processor - 2.2GHz Pentium 4 / AMD 2400+ or faster
RAM - 1GB of RAM
Video Card - GeForce 5 and ATI 9800 w/ 128 MB VRAM
Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
Network Connection Required

Recommended:
Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo / AMD 3500+ or faster
RAM - 1.5GB or higher
Video Card - 256MB Geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900+

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Mainly portable audio recording but i would like to play a few games on it. For the audio recording i need at least a dual core, 2GB+ RAM and a 7200 rpm hard drive. Quietness isn't much of an issue though.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I'm not too bothered here, i suppose 80GB+ but would consider less especially if it is a SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Just somewhere that will ship to the UK is fine, i don't really know of the best places.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Probably a long while but my needs shouldn't get any more demanding.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD burner would be great but not required.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

No preference whatsoever in terms of performance, in terms of looks i prefer the sleek, smart look over bright lights etc.

13. What country do you live in?

United Kingdom

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Basically Minimum requirements for me:

2Ghz Dual Core
2GB RAM
7200 rpm Hard Drive
Good enough GPU to play HoN smoothly (Low settings.)
15.6'' or smaller
As cheap as possible
Would consider used.

Thank you :)

instanthelpdoteu

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
HI you can check out ebay for deals on refurbished laptops. Usually, a seller will have many of the same laptops selling at the same time. Watch to see what they are selling for and make your bid accordingly. Of course, make sure to check out the seller's feedback before bidding and make sure that you can pay with PayPal because there are many safeguards in place when purchasing with PayPal.
thats all
good luck
Wow pc