Cheap passable speakers for movies

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
So I have a pair of DT990s that I use almost 99% of the time, I only use speakers maybe 4 days per month so not very frequently at all but I need something better than these 5 dollar usb powered speakers I have now.

Trying to watch movies on them is odd, at max volume I can barely hear quiet parts of movies then when the loud bit comes my god its deafening. I've even tried using the built in audio leveling in MPC to help, it did help but not enough.

Anyone know of any cheap speakers that don't have this issue? I was thinking in the 50 usd range? Subwoofer isn't really needed. Just a set of speakers.

Solution
having quiet and loud parts of a movie has more to do with poor audio work by whomever made the movie. volume leveling software would be the most effective way to correct this. i'm not sure what the best software option for that would be but this is where i would start looking.

if you wanted better quality speakers, you could always get a cheap set from logitech or creative. not stellar but perhaps better sounding than what you have now. keep in mind this will not fix the low/high volume of poor audio in movies.

perhaps this would help? http://www.howtogeek.com/115656/3-ways-to-normalize-sound-volume-on-your-pc/
having quiet and loud parts of a movie has more to do with poor audio work by whomever made the movie. volume leveling software would be the most effective way to correct this. i'm not sure what the best software option for that would be but this is where i would start looking.

if you wanted better quality speakers, you could always get a cheap set from logitech or creative. not stellar but perhaps better sounding than what you have now. keep in mind this will not fix the low/high volume of poor audio in movies.

perhaps this would help? http://www.howtogeek.com/115656/3-ways-to-normalize-sound-volume-on-your-pc/

Solution

ShipWS

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Check out open-box Insignia brand PC speakers on Ebay. Make sure they have tweeters though. I got a set for $25 with subwoofer and they are awesome compared to the TVs speakers. Then you can run an EQ program like Equalizer APO to tune the speakers to your room.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
i bought a $30 2.1 from Microcenter. Brand: Eagle/Orion. Some cheap brand, bit when I use them, they are acceptable. I still prefer headphones, but for my in-couch streaming (lol) it's passable. Just turn the bass down.

TRENDING THREADS