Cheap second hand first DLSR

trisnpod

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
I know there are probably loads of threads like this already, but I couldn't find one that quite matched what I'm asking.

I'm looking for recomendations for a cheap second hand DLSR (ideally around £50-60 but I can go higher if its really worth it) to replace my bridge camera which has developed a large blurry section in pictures. I'm thinking of choosing something mainly around cheapness and value for money until I've got enough experience to know what I want out of a dslr to spend more on one.

My main choices at the moment would be either a nikon d70, 60 or maybe d40x. The prices for these cameras are particularly attractive (around £50 body only maybe less for the d60 and 70, around £100 for the d40x) and they seem to be decent cameras. The d40x has 10mpx, more than the 6.1 on the d60 and 70. I'm not sure if 6.1 is really enough but also not sure if it's worth paying quite a lot more for a few more mpx on the d40x.

However I know that the megapixels number isn't the most important thing about a camera so it would be interesting to hear any other reasons to choose between those cameras.

It would be helpful to get some recomendations from people for similar cameras in this price range. I don't have a brand preference although I've heard that nikon lenses are generally cheaper than canon. If it helps, I'll mainly be doing landscape photography although I'm not looking into lenses at this point. If I need to provide more info please ask!

Solution
Is the 100 pound only for the body, and no lenses? Landscape you want a wide lens, 10-20mm, and possible with zoom.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANON-EOS-M10-MIRRORLESS-CAMERA-WITH-15-45-MM-F-3-5-6-3-LENS-WHITE-BOXED-UK-/132315930217?epid=232027004&hash=item1ecea4de69:g:~CYAAOSwQr5Zqt6~

Probably a bit out of your price range, but a brand new canon mirrorless. benefits of a DSLR sized sensor, and interchangeable lenses, but not big and bulky like a full DSLR. I have that a camera and love it. You could also look for a used Canon M2, probably really cheap, another mirrorless option.

trisnpod

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
I'd rather pay less than £100 for the body alone, more like around £50 to £60. Unless you can convince me that its worth paying more. I had a look at the two cameras you mentioned ^, they do look pretty good but more the kind of price I'd go for after I've got some experience with a DSLR and know better about what I want.

USAFRet

Illustrious
For good pics from a DSLR, there are 3 components to take into account.
In this order:
1. The eye and brain
2. The lens
3. The camera body

Pretty much any DSLR or mirrorless body in the last few years will take acceptable pics.
Then you marry it with the lenses.
Then you apply the eye and brain to the scene

trisnpod

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017

So do you think as long as I get a good lens something like a d70 would be adequate?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, it would be quite "adequate".
And as long as it has not been dropped, abused, drenched in water, etc, etc...

trisnpod

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
How much should I be looking at for a lens? And is an 18-55mm a good bet for starting with or would it be better to consider something more use specific?

Also, do you know any cameras similar to the d70 that would also be good options? Just so I have some to look at and choose from.

USAFRet

Illustrious

For the lens...that is budget defined.
That 18-55 kit lens might be good to start with. Or a 35mm prime, but that is probably more $$$.

For a similar camera? Pretty much any DSLR or mirrorless from one of the major manufacturers. Canon/Nikon/Fuji/Pentax...
Mostly, the difference is ergonomics and specific features. Any would take a good pic.
And since you're looking used, on a very tiny budget, you have to go with what is available where you are.

As noted above, the body is the least significant part of this.

USAFRet

Illustrious

You get lenses that fit your specific body line.

Fuji lenses won't fit on a Canon body, Canon lenses won't fit onto a Nikon body, etc, etc.
You're buying into a system. Body and line of lenses.

But yes...mirrorless takes interchangeable lenses, just like a DSLR. The main outward difference is that a mirrorless body is smaller than a DSLR.

I have a Fuji X-T1 mirrorless. Takes great pics.

Unless they make an adapter for your camera. I have a Canon mirrorless and can use any Canon lens on it with the included adapter, auto-focus, image stabilization, etc, all work.

trisnpod

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
I got a canon EOS 350D - bidding only went up to £35 so quite pleased.

Now I have to find a lens though. Would £40-£50 be an acceptable budget for a decent lense or should I spend more? I'll probably go with an 18-55mm for versatility.

This is what I'm looking at at the moment: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302500099186
Seems to be commonly used lens and pretty cheap. That particular one has some damage to the filter ring but it says that doesn't affect its use.

USAFRet

Illustrious

USAFRet

Illustrious

"slight damage to the filter ring"
That's a lot more than "slight".
And later, when you want to use a filter???

From the description:

"The lens Zoom is notchy There is a piece of plastic missing from the exterior filter ring as we have shown in the photos. The lens masking is marked"

What impact caused that to be broken off? What else is affected?

Personally, I would pass.

It's an OK kit lens, but nothing special. It does let you zoom some, but it depends on what you intend to photograph. The canon 50mm f1.8 is an awesome lens that any canon owner should have.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR9.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcanon+50mm+lens.TRS0&_nkw=canon+50mm+lens&_sacat=0

lots of cheap ones and the Yongnuo are good lens too, autofocus works well and you can get it brand new pretty cheap.

I've shot lots of things with only the 50mm, as I like to challenge myself sometimes and only take 1 lens on a trip out. If you take 10 lenses, you spend half the time going through your bag debating what would work best and miss the shot.

trisnpod

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
Ok I'll pass on that lens then. I wasn't aware that the damage to the filter ring would actually stop a filter being used and yes it must have been dropped or badly looked after for that to happen.

Of the used lenses b&h have, this one seems to best fit what I want:https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801652665-USE/canon_18_55mm_f_3_5_5_6_efs_ii.html
However also looking on ebay there is a lot of choice. They all seem to have EF in the name (EF-S, EFS IS, EFS II, EFS IS, EF STM IS......). Can I tell which lenses are better from the names?

IS is image stabilization so if you shake a bit and don't use a tripod and it's dark out and you use a longer shutter speed, it will be blurry without IS. USM is ultra sonic motor, so it's quiet and smooth zooming, STM is a step motor. Bit jerkier in zooming but you're not using it for panning zooming video, so sound isn't an issue (its not that loud anyways) EF-S lenses are for DSLR crop sensors (your camera) and EF lenses are for DSLR crop sensor (your camera) and also full frame sensor DSLR's. Nothing to worry you, but you'll mostly see EF-S lenses.

What do you plan on shooting first? Get a lenses that's suited to that.

And Mostly photography is a good eye to find a good shot. Using a lenses like a linked about, the 50mm canon, it's anwesome lenses, great for low light and while it doesn't zoom, your feet do. lol. Walk closer, walk back a bit, there is your zoom. at 55mm, it has an apeture of 5.6 vs 1.8 of the 50mm prime lenses. That makes a huge difference in terms of low light shooting ,etc.

trisnpod

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
I'd probably be shooting landscapes most of the time but I also like shooting inside abandoned buildings where low light performance would be very useful. So that 50mm lens sounds pretty good - not having zoom wouldn't be much of an issue as taking photos inside I wouldn't be zooming anyway. I'm used to not having zoom already as since my fuji went weird I've been using my phone and gopro for everything. Even if the 50mm isn't so well suited for landscape, I can pick up a new yongnuo for just over £20 so I can afford another lens as well.