Cheaper Alternative to GoPro camera

sirhawkeye64

Estimable
May 28, 2015
So I do urban exploration of abandoned buildings, and was wondering if anyone knew of any good quality action cameras that are similar to a GoPro, but cost less (like in the $200 range).
The only requirement I have is that I'd like one that's at least 8MP, has a removable (and thus rechargable) battery, and has a headband mount, as I tend to take videos as I'm walking around, plus I photograph too, so I need ones that's hands-free (ie. headband or chest strap mounted).

Shoomer

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Send me a message mate. I may be able to put you in touch with someone. It's a new product not on the market yet (looking for testers), designed for clay pigeon shooting. It's a HD Cam built into a pair of glasses. Tiny camera and the idea is you shoot and watch the video back to improve your shot. But I think it would work for what you need. It has a separate battery (optional) and I believe the cam is 9MP.

sirhawkeye64

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Unfortunately, this type of system would not work for me, as I wear regular glasses and am going to be holding a camera up to my eye most of the time while recording, so it needs to be something I can mount to my chest using a vest or my head using a headband. (That and I need my prescription glasses to see anyway). Thanks for the offer though.

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Look at cameras from Drift Innovations. More affordable than GoPro and probably the best quality of the more affordable action cameras. I agree GoPro makes some very nice stuff, but you get what you pay for and GoPro is more expensive.