Chevy Volt Hits the Road in Pre-production Form

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pakardbell486dx2

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I forgot where i heard this but some group of people came up with a hydrogen powered engine that has a close system in which the water, that come out from combustion, is reused to create hydrogen through electrolysis. In essence it would keep reusing its own byproduct as fuel. This system alone is used to power a generator to recharge the batteries for the car. I wish GM and other car makers could follow this sort of thing.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
population control is the only true long term answer. But in the mean time we need something like this at an affordable price. Also, bring back nuclear power. Mass transit and a more thoughtful forward thinking transportation system would do much.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Well at least the Volt should contribute less CO2 than the Prius (whose battery materials are sourced from 4 different countries on ships that, for arguments sake, average 120 gallons per mile [http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_fuel_does_a_container_ship_burn], then shipped to Japan and assembled...then shipped again in a soulless marketing exercise called Prius).

Of course if you want to use less fuel, have a decent car as well and not look like a try-hard Hollywood celebrity douchebag, you could just buy a Golf Diesel

jkeelsnc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Yes, I think many people misunderstand. The Volt in Fact only uses its gas motor when the battery is low. If I had this car where I live now I would almost never burn gas because I almost never drive more than 40 miles per day. The oil company's would want a bullet in my head for not buying their gas anymore. My response to them is "go to hell"

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]@neka If they were close to GM facilities, cruising around (very likely), people who work at or are otherwise associated with the GM facilities would feel more comfortable driving a GM vehicle.Its like, if you were a sales guy for SAN Switches, and you were trying to sell to IBM.... Wouldn't you want to walk into the room with a Lenovo laptop for your presentation? People around there probably just bought more GM vehicles... rather than this being intentionally edited that way.[/citation]

You suggest that I would want to take a Lenovo laptop to a meeting with IBM, but that no one would pick GM loaded clips for a GM advertisement? That is contradictory at best, because at their core they are the exact same tactic of forcing friendlier surroundings.

I specifically said in my second comment that it would be really easy to find clips they wanted, alluding to the naturally higher concentration of GM vehicles found where they were driving. Not choosing friendly clips in that environment is (in your analogy) like already owning the Lenovo and just choosing to take along a Macbook for the hell of it.

As much as I think that first part was hypocritical though...I should point out that you're crazy if you think taking someone's product to a meeting with them is going to help your negotiations with a company of that scale. They don't care, and your "SAN switch salesman" example particularly sucks because they probably use their OWN switches (duh).

But by far the best part is that you don't seem to realize that a Lenovo is NOT even an IBM product to begin with and the two companies have no relation. Lenovo only bought out IBM's PC division, and taking one to an IBM meeting is probably more like a slap in the face than it is a cutesy, clearly uninformed attempt at a compliment. I mean you might as well have taken the (intel) Macbook after all.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]slaptacular[/nom]@ bk420I understand your frustration with GM taking bailouts. But if I could get a huge sum of money from Obama for my company, I would take it too and not give back the bonus I gave myself.... Maybe. Don't let the dishonesty from the execs fool you. Old Prius's have failing transmissions and very expensive batteries that fail, both of which often cost more than half the value of the car to replace (a "total-loss"). If you look at the numbers, GM's sales have not dropped much more than the Japanese car makers, and I see as many '09 GM rides on the road as I ever have new models. All the car makers are suffering. When the Volt is faster, cheaper to own, and gets better MPG than a Prius, will you eat your words?F150 - Ford, not GM."chrysler minivan" - Chrysler is not GM, nor Ford."late model mustang" - Ford, not GM."firebird, vette, rendezvous, several astro vans, etc." - Yes, Pontiac, Buick, and Chevrolet are GM.[/citation]

Are you slow? I was pointing out the only non GM vehicles I saw and then listing all of the GM ones...so I don't need you to tell me what goes where.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Cover the car in solar panels and drive that thing in Texas and you will actually be doing the environment a favor. But if you are going to plug the car into an outlet that receives power from a fossil fuel power plant which loses a lot of its initial power from the powerline to you house, how is that doing anything , instead of the exhaust coming from your car its is now coming from the power plant instead.

Power plants alone in the us are beeing severely overtaxed because of people constantly running air conditions now we are gonna plug our cares to it?

sure the care can go 40 miles on a charge, but does that include blasting the ac on full in 100 degree weather, or when windshield wipers going constantly in a rainstorm, or even having your radio at a moderate level. plug in your gps /charge your cell phone what does it dwindle down to?

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]sure the care can go 40 miles on a charge, but does that include blasting the ac on full in 100 degree weather, or when windshield wipers going constantly in a rainstorm, or even having your radio at a moderate level. plug in your gps /charge your cell phone what does it dwindle down to?[/citation]

Well, no one said any one car (including the Volt) is for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.