China Caves: Filtering Software "Optional"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I asked earlier if it was to be an optional software and someone replied "if they took lesson from EA, no".

Well, here's my answer ;)

So to conclude, this is no worst than AOL :p

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
it seemed to me that it was always optional seeing as they never stipulated that the new PC had to keep the OS installed that came with it.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I guess it won't be the complicated to disable then - probably even easier than needing to kill it through task manager.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I cannot remember who said this, but I believe they were right.

Economic freedom leads to social freedom. This would appear to be a step in that direction.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I cannot remember who said this, but I believe they were right.Economic freedom leads to social freedom. This would appear to be a step in that direction.[/citation]

More like 10 steps back and a baby step forward. Still 9 and a half steps in the wrong direction.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Well, that's good. After all I'm sure they didn't have a Linux version so this certainly would have hurt China's Linux efforts. Interesting that a country that is sponsoring their own Linux distribution, which is built on the idea of freedom and independence from big US vendors, is so interested in lock down and censorship itself. Oh well.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I cannot remember who said this, but I believe they were right.Economic freedom leads to social freedom. This would appear to be a step in that direction.[/citation]

Half the world's wealth is in the hands of 2% of the population, while half of the poorest of people live in countries that have enough natural resources but that wealth is not accessible to them.

That's economic freedom for you!

People should enjoy as much freedom as possible, corporations on the other hand shouldn't enjoy too much freedom, especially when they just absorb wealth without giving much back.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Half the world's wealth is in the hands of 2% of the population, while half of the poorest of people live in countries that have enough natural resources but that wealth is not accessible to them. That's economic freedom for you!People should enjoy as much freedom as possible, corporations on the other hand shouldn't enjoy too much freedom, especially when they just absorb wealth without giving much back.[/citation]

Damn right! Those guys that worked to build profitable companies don't deserve the profit. We should cap CEO pays and distribute it to the poor and the lazy. That will definitely help spur innovation. Knowing that I don't even need to try hard as long as someone else tries hard I can get some cash off of their hard work. Surely that will make me want to try harder. The prospect of having my money taken away from me and given to someone less "fortunate" makes me get out of bed!

freedom_14

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]Failed at record speed I see[/citation]
Innovation and creativity is great, what I hate is when their product/market matures and they sit on top of what they made, and using legal means to stop others from improving their products and thus offering competition and choices for the consumer. Chances are, when people say dirty corporate policy they don't mean companies that continue to refine their products, and have open competition and is bringing more and more product out the door everyday, but they mean companies that offer miner updates or offer up half baked products and flog it as fully usable. The top 2% of wealth isn't gotten in one day, but how much of that is gotten because of hard work and innovation, and how much of it is because of a legacy and people's unwillingness to change?

G

Your perspective seems to exclude the existence of entire continents full of hard working, borderline slaves.

I do wonder though, do you include in "those guys" 3rd-5th generation trust fund legacy babies? It might destroy your perception of the world, but unfortunately, with each passing generation we see a class of modern day royals continue to consolidate wealth. I only wish we existed in a meritocracy where every rich successful CEO/leader/etc was self made through hard work.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I don't understand why they're posting about freedom above... but I believe that right and access to valuable information is freedom.
Entities restricting people access to it is controlling or preserving power they had. I've never seen or experience something liberating since the internet.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
It was said that the software was optional from Kevin Parrish's first article on this subject (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/China-Green-Dam-Filter,news-4048.html)

Jane, what is it that you do every day? Looking cute?

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
They will probably put up a law that says if you dont use it you will be "disciplined" instead of computers having to mandatorily run the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.