China Says It's Wasn't Skilled Enough To Hack Congressional Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I wouldn't exactly call China an enemy.... more like a rival, if anything. Now Iran.... THERE is an enemy, but the thing about enemies is that they can be turned into friends, if you are willing to compromise enough.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I used to work for the IT Security Group for a University in Utah. We were being scanned hundreds of thousands of times a day. We resorted to blocking all traffic from entire foreign networks, most of them from China. The number of attacks on a daily basis plummeted to the point that we were actually able to follow up on and respond to attacks.

It shouldn't be that hard for the government IT people to implement a default deny policy to hostile foreign networks and then implement exceptions on a case by case basis.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Can someone explain to me the different between a DoS attack and stealing file? I think Humphrey mistaken the two but I'm no expert myself.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Pei-chen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial_of_service
turbolover22: I had a 24/7 computer on a university network and got port-scanned on a regular basis. Someone was even stupid enough to brute-force my FTP using the "administrator" account (which fortunately didn't even exist). When I checked the IP, it was wanadoo.fr (French DSL?) network, so I don't think that blacklisting Chinese IPs would really help much.

G

How can this guy say it was'nt his country that's skilled enough. How would they know? Most hackers live in basements and are sometimes geniusses in breaking into computers if you ask me.

And yes, daily bruteforces on my FTP for example are coming from China and foreign countrys.

eofu

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Whatever, I have seen websites defaced with the title "HACKED BY CHINESE!"

Also I'm sure if you WHOIS the IP addresses of these attacks in your logs you will find some that link to China.

Please, this is typical politics lying to each other again.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Martel:

Yes we had several computers hacked by French IP addresses as well. Most of them from Wanadoo FR. If there was a Wanadoo network that had enough computers attacking/scanning our network to meet our threshold then the entire Wanadoo network got blocked. There were only a few of these networks from Wanadoo that got the entire network blocked (maybe 3-5). But as far as networks from China we had blocked 100's.

Vedlen

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]turbolover22[/nom]Martel:Yes we had several computers hacked by French IP addresses as well. Most of them from Wanadoo FR. If there was a Wanadoo network that had enough computers attacking/scanning our network to meet our threshold then the entire Wanadoo network got blocked. There were only a few of these networks from Wanadoo that got the entire network blocked (maybe 3-5). But as far as networks from China we had blocked 100's.[/citation]Wanadoo was renamed Orange months ago, just a detail ;)

Vedlen

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]turbolover22[/nom]Martel:Yes we had several computers hacked by French IP addresses as well. Most of them from Wanadoo FR. If there was a Wanadoo network that had enough computers attacking/scanning our network to meet our threshold then the entire Wanadoo network got blocked. There were only a few of these networks from Wanadoo that got the entire network blocked (maybe 3-5). But as far as networks from China we had blocked 100's.[/citation]Wanadoo was renamed Orange months ago, just a detail ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.