Samsung says it's time for Galaxy Note owners to upgrade to the Galaxy S24 Ultra — are they right?

Feb 11, 2024
$1300? Yeah no. I recently upgraded from my trusty Note 9 to an excellent condition aftermarket S21 Ultra for about $350 and couldn't be happier. I plan on keeping my (new to me) S21 for 3-4 years and THEN I'll upgrade to the S24 for around $350. Y'all are crazy overspending on phones these days, but you do you I guess (just take good care of your $1300 phone because I'll buy it from you for $300 in a few years hahaha!) I dare you to tell me that a S21 Ultra is slow, takes bad pictures, or can't run modern mobile games well.

Feb 11, 2024
Absolutely. With the flat screen, long battery life, and snappy performance, it is the perfect "Note." Also, 7 years of updates and outstanding cameras. I'm thrilled with mine as a Note user from day one.

Feb 11, 2024
$1300? Yeah no. I recently upgraded from my trusty Note 9 to an excellent condition aftermarket S21 Ultra for about $350 and couldn't be happier. I plan on keeping my (new to me) S21 for 3-4 years and THEN I'll upgrade to the S24 for around $350. Y'all are crazy overspending on phones these days, but you do you I guess (just take good care of your $1300 phone because I'll buy it from you for $300 in a few years hahaha!) I dare you to tell me that a S21 Ultra is slow, takes bad pictures, or can't run modern mobile games well.
I paid $700 for my 1TB model with a trade in. The S21 U is a great phone too though. My wife still uses her Note 9.

Reactions: Shoyudan
Feb 11, 2024
That's nice that they want to tell me I should really upgrade to an s24 ultra.

Here's my response: my s20 ultra is fantastic. It's got a big screen, good battery life, and runs well. I use the s pen from time to time and like it.

If they want me to upgrade, they need more than "better camera, more powerful processor, better s pen". The s pen is something that is nice, but I don't need it. The camera I have is fine.

AI isn't going to convince me. I think ai is both a dangerous thing and a fancy toy.

Feb 11, 2024
Ummm brand new, I paid 1299.00 for my Note 20 Ultra back in 2020. not counting military discount and trade-in. Maybe if you account for inflation the 24 Ultra costs more but both released at 1299.00.

My 20Ultra is still running fine but 4 years is time for a new model. 2 years more than I have ever held a phone.

So you can bet I'll be trading in my Note 9--yes Note 9, I'll hold on to my Note 20 as a backup. Samsung gives 600 for a Note 20 trade-in and still gives 400 for a Note 9 so that's what I'll trade in.

Bone Datt

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
I've been a Note user since 2011. Price isn't what is holding me back from upgrading my Note20 Ultra. The lack of a microSD card slot, and believe it or not, the MST tech for Samsung pay is what's giving me a bit of anxiety to upgrade. I've heard people say that Google pay and Apple pay work everywhere because "everyone" now uses NFC card readers and also cards with chips. Well, tell that to Firestone Auto because everytime I go in there for service, they are always amazed how my Note20 Ultra works on their card readers, especially since they don't have NFC. They always start with "Sorry we don't support Apple pay..." and while they're still blabbing they hear the reader beep and they're amazed. So, yeah.. The S24 Ultra isn't the upgrade for this Note20 Ultra user 👨🏿 . I know an upgrade is inevitable since I'll stop getting security updates by 2024/2025, but I may hold on to this Note20 Ultra longer than I'd like to, unless ofcourse Samsung brings back the microSD card slot and MST.

Feb 11, 2024
I've been a Note user since 2011. Price isn't what is holding me back from upgrading my Note20 Ultra. The lack of a microSD card slot, and believe it or not, the MST tech for Samsung pay is what's giving me a bit of anxiety to upgrade. I've heard people say that Google pay and Apple pay work everywhere because "everyone" now uses NFC card readers and also cards with chips. Well, tell that to Firestone Auto because everytime I go in there for service, they are always amazed how my Note20 Ultra works on their card readers, especially since they don't have NFC. They always start with "Sorry we don't support Apple pay..." and while they're still blabbing they hear the reader beep and they're amazed. So, yeah.. The S24 Ultra isn't the upgrade for this Note20 Ultra user 👨🏿 . I know an upgrade is inevitable since I'll stop getting security updates by 2024/2025, but I may hold on to this Note20 Ultra longer than I'd like to, unless ofcourse Samsung brings back the microSD card slot and MST.
In the past, I always placed an SD card as a requirement in phones. I still have a Note 20 Ultra as my main phone, but over the last few years I have realized that I don't use it. In the last 10 years I haven't needed to use an SD card in any of my phones and I have always had the lowest size memory in my phones.

I guess 10 years ago, or so, I started using streaming for music and within the last 5 or so I started using the unlimited photo backup I have through Amazon Prime.

No need for much memory.

Technerd71

Commendable
Oct 15, 2021
I think it makes perfect sense. Support is ending for Note 20 so what phone is closest to the Note 20 in 2024? The s24 ultra of course.

If you have a Note 20 then I assume you have used Samsung phones over the years. Then you know trade in on pre order is best and the phone will not cost you $1300 but closer to $700. What phone is nicer for $700 and delivers a better experience than the s24 ultra.

The screen with ar coating and gg armor and being flat would be enough of a reason for me. Seems people want phones to change their lives or something. These are just smartphone? I think from the Note 20 to the s24 ultra there are a ton of changes and upgrades. Whether anything is worth the cost of upgrading is completely in the eyes of the buyer.

Reactions: Maxsc
Feb 18, 2024
No I don’t want to carry a thumb drive or harddrive to replace my upgradable 512microSD, that built in slot is important, that needs updated to a TB card since it is just about full.

Feb 18, 2024
I have used Notes since the Note2. I skipped upgrading once before, when the microSD went away. They seem to forget how much they charge for the 1Tb phone, my only option.
I use mine for business and use my phone in place of a laptop. I need storage space. I don't necessarily used what is stored on my microSD daily but do use it a couple times a week, and no I don’t want to carry a thumb drive or harddrive to replace my built in 512microSD card that is almost full and needs updated to a TB card.