China Warns of 'Consequences' in Google's Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_ub

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Is this really a wise thing to do Google? especially in light of the recent hacks of American companies from... CHINA?! RIP...

velozzity

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Isn't Google dealing with the same country that massacred college students for bucking their system, wake up google and smell the roses, you cannot force these people to give up there stranglehold on their citizens, and the only thing that will result is your employees stationed there either being jailed for breaking chinese law....On a side note every day the U.S. government gets deeper and deeper in dept, dept that is financed in a large part by who else, China

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Admit it already, Google already paid the consequences of entering the Chinese market place... they got hacked. What else could they do invade?

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Oh yeah, not letting your own citizens google about what kind of yacht central party members own, or how many homes they own, or maybe actually being able to learn the truth about the Tiananmen Square massacre sure is very "friendly and responsible" on the CCP's part! Obviously their mission is just and honourable... [sarcasm]

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I agree with Google's stance here but unless they get together with Microsoft (and Yahoo) this really is a lost cause. Refusing to censor search results will not have any positive effect for Chinese citizens but could severely damage Google's reputation in one of the most populous countries in the world.

Microsoft. I'm looking at you. Don't let google go this alone. Don't sit by and watch thinking about the profits you could make once Google bails.

G

velozzity said: "Isn't Google dealing with the same country that massacred college students for bucking their system"

Well, if we see tanks rolling through the Google lobby, with Eric standing in their path, we'll have a decent idea of what's going on.

(black humour only, no offense intended by the Tiananmen reference)

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I support Google. Someone needs to stand up to this Bull**** or the Chinese govt will become overly dominating.

I truly won't be surprised if China begins mass invasions in the future, with the support of its largely misinformed and brainwashed citizens. Its population is kept misinformed precisely by this censorship.

pink315

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]Google - Just pull out.[/citation]

Just pull out, thats the friendly thing to do :)

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Irresponsible? Seriously? China is irresponsible in so many ways that I don't know where to start. Wait , I do , the censorship in the first place was irresponsible of China , as Google is supposed to be a world wide search engine anyway.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
China: Stay out of my way, or you'll pay. Listen to what I say.
Google: Yeah, why don't I go eat some hay. I can make things out of clay, or lay by the bay, I just may. Whaddya say?

el-guapo

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I don't get it, you go to a foreign country to do business, but you refuse to not abide by their laws?

As much as I don't agree with their government, their laws must be respected. Google is just pulling a publicity stunt to gain popularity on non-communist countries, that's all.

el-guapo

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I don't get it, you go to a foreign country to do business, but you refuse to not abide by their laws?

As much as I don't agree with their government, their laws must be respected. Google is just pulling a publicity stunt to gain popularity on non-communist countries, that's all.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]China: Stay out of my way, or you'll pay. Listen to what I say.Google: Yeah, why don't I go eat some hay. I can make things out of clay, or lay by the bay, I just may. Whaddya say?[/citation]

I wish I could give you + 20 for that reference.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
Google gets what they no sympathy from me for what happens to them...

You cant disobey law just because it is not a fair or just one...

Here in america i cant be a drug dealer... i dont think anti drug laws are right ( not gonna go into why) but i cant just do or sell drugs and think i can get away with it

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I really don't care what any countries laws are in this case. The fact of the matter is, it's simply two entities attempting to leverage their power to push their own ideology. I seriously doubt Google is going to win, but this could lead to an in road in the future. It would be better if more companies that don't agree with China (AKA most companies in the world) took the stand Google did. As powerful as they seem, and as large as their numbers are, they still depend on the rest of the World, specifically American Companies. They all pull out, and China is going to have to reevaluate, and will probably go the way of Russia.

[citation][nom]RooD[/nom]but i cant just do or sell drugs and think i can get away with it[/citation]
That's why there aren't any people selling or doing drugs sucessfullly, Oh wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.