Chinese Smugglers Use Zip Lines to Import iPads, iPhones

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I am a bit amazed at this being illegal in the first place. Seeing how both Hong Kong and Shenzhen are both a part of China. I know it tends to be against the law to buy from one nation for cheaper smuggle the goods and and sell it for more. But not being able to do it within the same nation is news to me.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I am a bit amazed at this being illegal in the first place. Seeing how both Hong Kong and Shenzhen are both a part of China. I know it tends to be against the law to buy from one nation for cheaper smuggle the goods and and sell it for more. But not being able to do it within the same nation is news to me.[/citation]
To put it in another perspective, Michigan has a $2/pack tax on cigarettes.
Indiana, on the other hand, only has a $0.995/pack tax on cigarettes.
Therefor, it would be quite a bit cheaper for gas stations to buy a van load of smokes in Indiana, truck them into Michigan and sell them for the same price.

What makes this illegal is that these taxes/pack are a State sales tax.
By paying less taxes in Indiana and NO taxes in Michigan, you Are breaking the law.
I believe the same scenario is applying here as, to my understanding, Hong Kong is a special region in China with special government and tax practices.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I am a bit amazed at this being illegal in the first place. Seeing how both Hong Kong and Shenzhen are both a part of China. I know it tends to be against the law to buy from one nation for cheaper smuggle the goods and and sell it for more. But not being able to do it within the same nation is news to me.[/citation]

You should brush up on your history.
Hong Kong is virtually an autonomous country with it's own laws, passports, currency, etc.

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]You should brush up on your history.Hong Kong is virtually an autonomous country with it's own laws, passports, currency, etc.[/citation]

I think they're law is similar to that of England since England had Hong Kong for so many years.
They gave HK back to China a years ago. Is that right?

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]I think they're law is similar to that of England since England had Hong Kong for so many years.They gave HK back to China a years ago. Is that right?[/citation]
That's more than 10 years ago. But indeed Hong Kong is a very special region that a normal chines need to obtain a special permit to travel there.

custodian-1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]To put it in another perspective, Michigan has a $2/pack tax on cigarettes.Indiana, on the other hand, only has a $0.995/pack tax on cigarettes.Therefor, it would be quite a bit cheaper for gas stations to buy a van load of smokes in Indiana, truck them into Michigan and sell them for the same price.What makes this illegal is that these taxes/pack are a State sales tax.By paying less taxes in Indiana and NO taxes in Michigan, you Are breaking the law.I believe the same scenario is applying here as, to my understanding, Hong Kong is a special region in China with special government and tax practices.[/citation]

Transporting cigarettes over the ten cartons (for personal use) is breaking federal law. People get arrested for it all the time especially near the Indian reservations where there is no tax.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]1997, Hong Kong is under the protection of the People's Liberation Army and considered a part of China, but is a Special Administration Area by law, the British had Hong Kong for exactly 100 years and there are some changes over the years, mostly to due with the Chinese sovereignty over those wittle islands[/citation]
correction 150yrs, after the 1st and 2nd opium wars. I've been to HK several times since the change over, not much has changed on the average street scene. a somewhat democratic system exists there and I've even seen the falun gong hold demonstrations in kowloon. although mainland chinese need special permits to enter HK, citizens of HK are not held to such restrictions. but the irony here is just too sad

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]computerrock1[/nom]Anything with an "i" posted more than 5 times attracts these dam scammers[/citation]

i i i i i and i .......... looks for spam

Status
Not open for further replies.