Choosing between 2 laptops

Solution

Well, I see your point, but the GT 740M and Haswell ULV will handle MMO and light gaming just fine. As he already have a powerful gaming rig, I doubt that paying 30% more on a SLI machine is worth it. Even with the nice addition of the FHD panel.

The Lenovo is...

Karan Thakur

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I think the first one is better because its perfect for light gaming , your normal working and because its cheaper it can easily satisfy your needs so why spend more money if you are not going to do heavy gaming

Kai Dowin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I agree with Karan Thakur. The latter is much more powerful, but also heavier, hotter and louder.
The first will be great for light gaming. You could use the difference to install a SSD on the Asus laptop and make it fly only daily tasks.

I'd recommend the Lenovo. The Asus will work, but with a low voltage CPU, your FPS in game will suffer and bottleneck the 740M. The Asus should be more "portable," however, so weigh the pros and cons, and consider the system requirements of the games you intend to play.

Though the first one will be better for your gaming needs, I recommend going through Lenovo for it. You don't necessarily need the SLI, and in going through Lenovo direct, you may be able to save $100+.

Kai Dowin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

Well, I see your point, but the GT 740M and Haswell ULV will handle MMO and light gaming just fine. As he already have a powerful gaming rig, I doubt that paying 30% more on a SLI machine is worth it. Even with the nice addition of the FHD panel.

The Lenovo is more than 1 pound heavier, 40% thicker and gets insanely hot at load, with surface temperatures topping 57ºC at the upper part of the keyboard. It's battery barely reaches 2:30 hours of light WiFi usage. The SLI array on it have multiple reports of micro stuttering. Also, the power brick is gigantic.

As the OP already have a gaming machine, I wouldn't make this sacrifices in order to have more gaming power with a SLI of GT 750M cards (that he probably won't use anyway).

Solution

True enough, and that's why I suggested going through Lenovo for the savings + opting out of the SLI/Ultrabay. Doing so won't help much in regards to weight/portability, but it will cut the cost down. Many MMOs have a trend in taxing the CPU quite a bit, which is why I think the i7 may be better suited for all intents and purposes.

The Asus is still a nice system, no doubt, and Kai made some good points about portability and cost ratio. Now you'll have to weigh the pros and cons, OP. :)

Kai Dowin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

Indeed. I didn't know of this option of buying through Lenovo. When I first saw your post, I thought it would be only a discount for buying directly with them.

Price aside, I hope that getting rid of the SLI may help to mitigate some issues, as the heat. Unless someone really wants the highest gaming capabilities at any price I would never recommend a system that can get this hot on the keyboard. Typing on a 57ºC surface is very uncomfortable. I wouldn't be able to game 10 minutes in summer on such a machine. Also, micro stuttering is frustrating. Dropping the SLI solves this.

Well, let's wait for the OP. :)

Tberg38

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I appreciate all the replies, it has really been helpful in decision making. I checked on Lenovo's website and even with the SLI, it still comes out to about the same as Neweggs price.

Kai made some great points and I am going with Asus and I am going to also get a SSD. I think it will handle all my needs and the price point is nice. Thanks again for all the posts.

TRENDING THREADS