Choosing between 2 speakers for multi purposes

amoor

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
First of all I need to buy new speakers for music and movies also gaming but also I need the bass to be very deep and juicy I was going to buy at first the Edifier DA5100
But when I searched I found that It has no optical connection and people told me that optical is much better than the 3.5 mm jacks and the speakers will not perform as it should with 3.5mm connections
so now I am choosing between the
Edifier DA5100
Edifier C6XD ( they are sold at the same price )
from the specs the first is better but it has no optical so I need to know which one I should buy to get better bass and sound quality of course.

Solution
there is no issue using analog outputs over digital. Worst case is the onboard sound chip will pick up some hissing/interference from other components and pass them on to the speakers. Most edifer systems i have seen have poor signal to noise ratio which will make this worse.
edifer da5100:
Total power output:RMS 11W x 5 + 65W
THD + N (testing level): 10%
Signal to noise ratio: ≥85dBA

C6XD:
Total power output: RMS 8Wx4+10W+38W

From the specs alone the da5100's are far better, and worth losing the optical connection.
Also, using the optical connection you will only get 5.1 sound if the source on your pc (like a dvd/blueray drive) can pass through the 5.1 signal. Things like games will only be 2 channel...

nukemaster

Distinguished
Can you by any chance listen to these in person.

The reality is that music is analog to begin with and the optical will rely on the quality of the DAC inside of the control pod on these speakers.

Edifier generally used decent, but not top end parts(certainly not junk).

The analog only(3.5mm) set has 40 watts more and a larger sub. So if you want a bit more bass it may be the way to do. You may have to adjust these things either way.

I find it strange to have to use buttons on the sub to adjust the DA5100.

The set with optical looks more geared towards movies because it has a bit more power on its center channel. You can still adjust the other set to make the center louder if you prefer.

So your trade off is optical vs a bit more power(a larger system as well).

I personally see no issues with analog audio unless you are connected multiple devices to your setup. In some cases multiple device connections(more bad with cable TV boxes) can cause a ground loop(normally a low buzz in the sub, but depending on the hardware, it can be worse some times). It is not damaging, just annoying.

Just remember none of these are very high end, but should still get the job done.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
there is no issue using analog outputs over digital. Worst case is the onboard sound chip will pick up some hissing/interference from other components and pass them on to the speakers. Most edifer systems i have seen have poor signal to noise ratio which will make this worse.
edifer da5100:
Total power output:RMS 11W x 5 + 65W
THD + N (testing level): 10%

C6XD:
Total power output: RMS 8Wx4+10W+38W

From the specs alone the da5100's are far better, and worth losing the optical connection.
Also, using the optical connection you will only get 5.1 sound if the source on your pc (like a dvd/blueray drive) can pass through the 5.1 signal. Things like games will only be 2 channel unless you use the discrete rca cnnectors.

Solution