Choosing between two laptops

sjrm95

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014
I am looking to upgrade my laptop. I don't use it for gaming, but I have to do basic video editing for university. I use Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum Suite.

I have narrowed it down to two laptops:

(Custom built) Lenovo Z500
Processor: Intel Core i5 3230M 2.60GHz
RAM: 4GB (possibly able to upgrade this to 6 or 8 GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 635
£499

(Refurbished) ACER Aspire E1-572
Processor: Intel Core i7-4500U 1.8 GHz
RAM: 6GB
Hard Drive: 750GB
Graphics Card: Not sure (but it is Integrated and not Dedicated)
Amazon link for this laptop can be found here
Price: £419.99

I'm leaning towards the ACER based on price. Having looked at benchmark tests it seems that both are very similar, with the i5 even outperforming the i7 on some tests.
The other issue is dedicated graphics card vs integrated one. I don't believe it to be too important if I'm not gaming but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not very savvy at all with hardware so any help will be appreciated! Please note that the video editing will not be very intensive, however the clips may be quite long for my university projects.

Thanks for reading! A little bit of clarity would be nice :)

If anyone has any alternatives then my absolute maximum budget is £500.

Solution
Look don't go towards the acer.

First of all integrated graphics are not that good. My friend play candy crush on laptop and his lags although i admit HD 3000 mobile is as not good as HD 4000 but in the long run it is not so good.
Second never go with the refurbished one you don't know how the other one has treated that laptop or from what laptop gone through and even if the seller and repaired it and you can't even detect it.
Also both the i5 and i7 are dual core in both the above mentioned laptop so there will no advantage in buying the i7 since both will perform in most cases the same.
And dedicated cards laptops are good cause even if the dedicated fails you can switch to the integrated one.

Anything i miss?

goku1234567890

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Look don't go towards the acer.

First of all integrated graphics are not that good. My friend play candy crush on laptop and his lags although i admit HD 3000 mobile is as not good as HD 4000 but in the long run it is not so good.
Second never go with the refurbished one you don't know how the other one has treated that laptop or from what laptop gone through and even if the seller and repaired it and you can't even detect it.
Also both the i5 and i7 are dual core in both the above mentioned laptop so there will no advantage in buying the i7 since both will perform in most cases the same.
And dedicated cards laptops are good cause even if the dedicated fails you can switch to the integrated one.

Anything i miss?

Solution