Choosing laptop casual gaming

bobkfloyd

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
#1 WILL THE BELOW LAPTOP RUN SOME GAMES FOR WINDOWS? ( It is a refurb for under $300)
#2 COULD I EXPECT TO DO BETTER FOR MY MONEY WITH AN AMD QUAD CORE REFURB WITHOUT SPENDING MUCH MORE MONEY? (I was planning on around $200 for a refurb that would browse, and facetime and stuff that teen daughters do, but it would be much better if she could game a little.)

i am looking at a refurbished DELL Latitude E5410 Notebook Intel Core i5 2.60GHz 4GB Memory 160GB HDD 14.1" Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
160GB HDD
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit DVD

The specs are a little scetchy, unsure of the exact cpu, wish I knew. (I am seeing same model with i5 2.4ghz cpu on other sites)

I beleive MAX RESOLUTION IS 1280X800, unsure.

GRAPHICS ARE INTEL ONBOARD, and I am unsure what good that is.
THANKS FOR READING, AND ANY INPUT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!
(SEEMS LIKE PRETTY GOOD DEAL TO ME)

bobkfloyd

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
The more I look, the more different specs I find for this exact same model #. Go figure. Oh, and I wish I could find exactly when this model came out, probably around 2011, just a guess.
Thanks again people!

bobkfloyd

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014

Thank you LummusMaximus, thats why I stick with my amd builds. I saw the i5, and got a little exited,oh well. Wish it would run sims 3 and such at least. and maybe story mode on my steam games for her. all other refurbs have duo core or a celeron in them. Would anyone know what minimal specs would be for running such games. I would probably want to look into amd quad core cpu, or is it the graphics that is the issue?

bobkfloyd

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
apu, that sounds like a good idea, probably economical! Pretty much whatever steam game is 75% off. I realize that she would not be able to do new gen games, but maybe, rage, fear, mafia 2, portal 2, walking dead, bioshocks, and such. Man I thank you much!

bobkfloyd

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014

apu, that sounds like a good idea, probably economical! Pretty much whatever steam game is 75% off. I realize that she would not be able to do new gen games, but maybe, rage, fear, mafia 2, portal 2, walking dead, bioshocks, and such. Man I thank you much!
looks like my poor daughter will have to come down out of her room and get on PC or xbox. So sad.

bobkfloyd

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014

Solution by LummusMaximus = The issue is definitely graphics. I don't think it would run Sims 3 well. Maybe look for an APU. I run it on my APU fine. What games for story mode, by the way?

bobkfloyd

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
BTW, HAPPY ENDING! I WAS TOLD A8 SERIES WAS PRETTY MUCH MINIMAL, SO THIS SHOULD SURELY DO THE TRICK FOR THE PRICE. I JUST WISH THE ATTACHED "FREE GAMES" BFBC4 IN THIS CASE WERE NOT SO HARD OR MAYBE EVEN IMPOSSIBLE TO OBTAIN. AND TO LUMMUSMAXIMUS, AGAIN I APPRECIATE YOUR TIME, THANKS MUCH. WOULD BE $550-GAME.

HP ENVY 15-j073cl Notebook AMD A-Series A10-5750M (2.50GHz) 12GB Memory 1TB HDD AMD Radeon HD 8650G 15.6" Touchscreen Windows 8 (64-bit)

Refurbished newegg
Free Battlefield 4 w/ purchase, limited offer
4 out of 5 eggs (8) | Write a Review

In stock.

AMD A-Series A10-5750M (2.50GHz)
12GB Memory 1TB HDD
AMD Radeon HD 8650G
Touchscreen
1366 x 768
Windows 8 (64-bit)

Free Gift: Free Gift: AMD Bonus Gift - Battlefield 4 [Online Game Code]

LummusMaximus

Honorable

If you're getting that for your budget, that's an amazing find.

bobkfloyd

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
Amazing for sure, and thanks to you Max, being that I did not do any research on matter before hand (and always thanks to newegg!). My apologies to you all for the redundance, as i am pretty new to site, and blogging period, but i think i am getting the hang of how this site works. You may laugh if you saw the temporary laptop cooler that i made, out of an old gateway tower side, 2 pci type fans, spliced onto usb wires, and placed under rear legs, and a couple of huge hairtie straps that i pilfered. Will get mesh type laptop cooler when there is a steal. It appears to me that having the space between the base of the laptop, and the hard surface below it is most of it, but the fans do not hurt. Man, laptops get hot period, let alone trying to game a little.
Anyway this thing is not to good to be true, beats audio, quad speakers, awesome specs, and confirmed clean as a whistle inside and out. Win 8.1 is now installed, and there is a touchscreen to boot(running our android stuff on bluestacks). Unsure what I need 12 gigs of ram for, but we can say so.
My appreciation,
Bob

LummusMaximus

Honorable

No problem. If you have any more questions, you need only ask.