Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
My current PC specs:

Intel i5 3570k @ 3.40GHz
EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked
8GB Corsair Vengeance ram
Asrock z68 extreme 7 gen 3 mobo
1tb WD HDD (no SSD)

My problem is that I can play games like BF4 at like 85 FPS on ultra 1080p, however when going to record the FPS drops to like 25-40 fps.

How can I reduce this recording lag? I mean in my eyes I have a high end PC which should have no problem recording at 60 fps 1080p (BF4).

Solution

saifhaseeb

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013

I've tried both Fraps and Dxtory. Both with the same issue.

On fraps I'm using Full size 60 fps preset, and Dxtory as the default settings when I installed it.

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
What you have to remember is that recording video is a very CPU intensive application and while your system is pretty legit, your 85FPS in your game could be "bottlenecked" (read: "that's-alot-of-frames") by the CPU. By that I mean that some games rely more on the CPU and some more on the GPU. And while I'm not sure which is the case for BF4, I suspect it's the CPU. So any additional taxation of your CPU (recording videos through that program) will bottleneck your game even more. This is why many people record with an external box. Even many higher end TV tuners have dedicated h.264 sub-processors to relieve the stress from the CPU.

Also, just for clarification, you're saying that you're getting 20FPS in the game itself or on the playback of the video?

saifhaseeb

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013

On the playback of the video. When I use Dxtory, I'm playing the game while recording at 60+ fps but it's writing at like 25 fps.

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

Ah! Not 100% sure then. Could be your HDD speed. The game is reading (and a little writing) from the drive and you're trying to write video to it at the same time. Try changing where you write to if you have another drive. But that's just a possibility.

Solution