Choppy movie display using wireless

pccarton

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Hello community,

You've been of great use for the past 10 years or so to me, but I never felt the need of actually asking anything until now. I guess I knew the day would come...

So I've just bought for X-mas a projector from epson (TW5650). Epson claims this projector to be able to display 1080p through wireless connection. I couldn't wait until X-mas day, so I've set it up yersteday. Image is sharp, colour is good, everything was great until I tried to see a movie.

Hereunder some extra sections detailing the issue.

Symptom
It's basically impossible to watch a movie because of choppiness using screen mirroring: there is a low base FPS (couldn't tell how much, but I'd say it's below 15) paired with spikes which stop the movie for about 1 second. Audio is fine.

My current set-up

• ■ WIndows 10
    ■ Miracast screen mirroring from my desktop computer
    ■ Computer config: 6core @3.50 Ghz CPU, 8 Gb RAM, Nvidia 960 GTX graphics
    ■ I've tried connecting using both Bluetooth and WLAN. Network card is Intel dual band wireless-AC 8260. Both methods lead to the exact same choppy results
    ■ Trying to display .mpg4, .mkv using VLC

Distances

• ■ Projector is 3 meters away from the desktop computer
    ■ Projector is 5 meters away from the router
    ■ Desktop computer is about 6 meters away from the router

My next investigation steps

• ■ Find a HDMI cable right away and insure there is no issue using HDMI
    ■ Try to see if screenmirroring is even an option, or whether there are more sophisticated way that must be used to stream movies on this display

Take-away
I noticed something I found really surprising while I was experimenting. Let's say I put a movie player on the right side of my screen, and a webpage on the left, as in the following picture:

https://ibb.co/mkyqVR

Then when I display through the projecter, the movie will get choppy, while the left part of the screen will display completely smoothly: I can move my mouse around, scroll and so on and it will look completely smooth. I feel uterly lost...

Tanks for your help.
I'd really need a help on this, to assess whether I should return the product. In only have a couple days left to do so. Any kind of idea/suggestions are welcome ! I'll stay around to address questions.
I'll host my savior on the couch for a week-end in Paris !

Florent

Solution
Reduce resolution. In 720p mode Miracast can playback videos reasonably well.

1080p is just too much for it, unless you're using it for image slide-show or powerpoint presentation.

aquielisunari

Distinguished
Not sure what the issue is. To help others that might be able to help what is your wireless internet behavior like apart from the projector? Mbps wireless vs ethernet(wired)?

As far as the surprise you have a static image vs an ever changing video feed. The surfing takes a LOT less bandwidth. Not too surprising.

pccarton

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Hey, thanks for you quick reply !

Issue is vaguely defined I agree. This is because I'm in trouble isolating the origin of the issue (hardware, network or wrong process).

Regarding my internet connection, it's actually very good, despite wireless:
- I've just performed bandwidth test and got a 45 Mbps download/ 5 Mbps upload (results: https://ibb.co/bSudjm)
- I'm playing some video game as well and usually keep track of my ping, which is usually consistently below 20 ms

Got it for the static vs video behavior.

So you think this might be related to the wireless set-up ?
I'm trying to find an HDMI cable to check this out. I'll be posting the results ASAP.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Does the projector have an ethernet connection?

I see VGA in, HDMI in (2x), MHL, USB 2.0 Type A, USB 2.0 Type B (Service Only), Stereo mini jack audio out, Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/g/n, Miracast

I don't see anything about a ethernet port. HDMI will only carry video. Which cable are you referring to? I am missing something...

pccarton

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
There are exactly the i/o you just mentionned. No ethernet connection.
I think what SkyNetRising was referring to was the HDMI cable from the computer to the projecter, nothing to do with the router.

I've read some other concerns regarding mirroring using Miracast. Assuming it's Miracast technology which isn't able to deliver, isn't it another way to leverage WLAN in a more effective manner ?

Still trying to move things around to be able to use my short HDMI cable.
I'll keep you updated as soon as I'm done.

pccarton

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Ok so as I couldn't move things around to use HDMI on my desktop computer, I made similar tryouts with my laptop:
- When using Miracast -> Choppy
- When using HDMI -> Smooth and source-like FPS

I guess this is sufficient proof for me to blame the network set-up.
Now I'm coming back to one of my questions earlier: Is there something I can do to use wireless in a more effective manner than Miracast ?
Otherwise I'll return the product: I don't picture myself starting digging wholes in my walls !

Any idea ?