Chrome Browser Miner Software

niruto12

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
My avasta keeps going off when I enter a Swedish page called ''https://www.synonymer.se/'', a site for synonyms, I have done a complete clean of my PC. Removed all of Chromes components and reinstalled chrome but the issue still persists.

It usually says something along the lines of ''Threat has been detected'' and then displays the name ''CoinHive.com js miner''.

From what I gather it's a javascript from a webpage, so could the previously mentioned site be a victim of someone injecting the script into it? I almost never actually download stuff from the web and when I do it's usually from trusted sources like Steam.

Thank you for your time, hopefully, we can solve this enigma soon!

Solution
Pay attention to Avast. It is doing its' job.

Stay away from the site. Find another site for synonyms.

The site may have once been legitimate but perhaps has now been spoofed, hi-jacked, infected, or otherwise become a source of malware.

If the site is indeed legitimate then the Webmasters, etc., should be working to fix the problem and get the site online.

You should also run anti-virus and malware scans on your computer. Do ensure that those applications are up-to-date with respect to both version and data.

Check the "synonym" site from time to time if you must but back out, close, cancel, at any warnings or other signs of trouble.
Pay attention to Avast. It is doing its' job.

Stay away from the site. Find another site for synonyms.

The site may have once been legitimate but perhaps has now been spoofed, hi-jacked, infected, or otherwise become a source of malware.

If the site is indeed legitimate then the Webmasters, etc., should be working to fix the problem and get the site online.

You should also run anti-virus and malware scans on your computer. Do ensure that those applications are up-to-date with respect to both version and data.

Check the "synonym" site from time to time if you must but back out, close, cancel, at any warnings or other signs of trouble.

Solution

ragnar-gd

Estimable
Sep 30, 2014
@Phillip: But you DO perhaps have something like "noscript" active? Which *could* screen the miner from your antivirus, depending on how it is implemented on that site (or on an affiliate banner on that site...)
@niruto: Firefox-Users have a plugin called "noscript", and i'm pretty sure such a thing exists for Chrome (i don't use Chrome for private surfing). Look for the description of "noscript", and install a similar plugin on Chrome. That one protects you from malware that antivirus might not be aware of.