Chrome.exe Virus Constantly Popping Up

zach_35701

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
My laptop which I have been using for the last few months was fine for a while, however I now keep getting popups from Avast saying "Threat detected" and something about blocking a malicious website. This confuses me because, it happens while browsing Youtube. I read on a few other threads that it may be just an issue with Avast and false detections, however I downloaded Malwarebytes and it is coming up with the same error, stating it has blocked a process on Chrome.exe. Other threads mentioned an ip address that was coming up with this error, however the ip address that seems to be connecting with my computer doesn't match that of the other users. I have ran several virus scans with multiple programs, and they never come up with anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution

If it keeps happening after resetting Chrome, check your DNS settings on your PC and on your router. There could've been a virus that changed the DNS setting and even though it might've been found and removed, the DNS settings stayed. DNS hijacking isn't too common but it is still a possibility.

audie-tron25

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
Just to be on the safe side, try using Adware Cleaner as well. It usually detects/removes adware/hijacks that Malwarebytes can miss:
- https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

If that doesn't find anything, there is probably no issues. Maybe try re-installing Chrome?

zach_35701

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

I have both smooth scroll and adBlock extensions installed into my chrome. And yes, it states that a website has been blocked, however the website seems to be different every time.

zach_35701

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

I just ran it, and the only thing it found was stated as," PUP.Optional.Legacy, SearchProvider found: play-asia.com - play-asia.com

/!\ Please Reset the Chrome Synchronization before cleaning the Chrome Preferences: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3097271
" Reinstalling Chrome unfortunately did not seem to solve the problem either.

takochako

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017

If it keeps happening after resetting Chrome, check your DNS settings on your PC and on your router. There could've been a virus that changed the DNS setting and even though it might've been found and removed, the DNS settings stayed. DNS hijacking isn't too common but it is still a possibility.

Solution