Chrome isn't working on my Mac

msgrnbay

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015
Will someone help me figure out how to fix my Chrome while using my Mac? I use OS X, version 10.9.5.

I've cleared my download history, my cashe, and my browsing history, cookies, you name it. I've turned off my hardware accelerator, and when I checked for add-ons it only showed three, and I have no idea what they were for. I turned off two of them but left one.

I've noticed that Chrome has been getting slower and slower over the past 6 months and now it's terrible. Pages don't load, screens turn white/blank, can't stream football, it's horrible.

Help!

My Firefox and Safari are better, but not super fast like they once were. Firefox hangs up when playing a video attached to a news story.

Safari, when opening preferences and then extensions it hangs up. It does finally open, but I don't understand why my three browsers don't work like they used to. Chrome has been my go-to for two years now and hardly ever use Firefox.

And by the way, I'm not technical and some of what was suggested for PC users is over my head. So, if someone can help me with my Mac that would be wonderful. Thank you.

Solution
Probably the easiest way is to sign into chrome, on the upper hand corner of the chrome window there is a person icon where you can sign into chrome with a google account. It will sync your tabs, settings, bookmarks, etc.

or you can go to the tools icon, select bookmarks > bookmarks > bookmarks manager > select organize > select export bookmarks to html file. Once you uninstall and reinstall chrome, go to the tools icon > bookmarks > import bookmarks and settings > choose the file you created.

msgrnbay

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015
Hello Night Owl. I have not tried to uninstall Chrome as of yet because I'm not sure that I won't lose all my bookmarks. If I do uninstall Chrome and then reinstall, will all my bookmarks return, or will I lose everything I have saved?

Probably the easiest way is to sign into chrome, on the upper hand corner of the chrome window there is a person icon where you can sign into chrome with a google account. It will sync your tabs, settings, bookmarks, etc.

or you can go to the tools icon, select bookmarks > bookmarks > bookmarks manager > select organize > select export bookmarks to html file. Once you uninstall and reinstall chrome, go to the tools icon > bookmarks > import bookmarks and settings > choose the file you created.

Solution

msgrnbay

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015
Thank you for the help. I reset chrome in the settings and that seemed to help. There is still some sluggishness, so we'll see. But it is better. The next step will be to uninstall and then reinstall Chrome. Thank you again for the suggestions.