Chrome on Android Update Allows Users to Bypass Mobile View

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
but your mobile company may think you're tethering your phone to a PC using a regular browser and add that extra charge if you don't have that plan...

Chrome users may want to think about that before enabling such features....

etudions

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
I'm proud of you.
g.gif

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]but your mobile company may think you're tethering your phone to a PC using a regular browser and add that extra charge if you don't have that plan...Chrome users may want to think about that before enabling such features....[/citation]
They are not tethering though...what form of website you load isn't what determines if you're charged for tethering or not.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Good thing. Most of time, the mobile version of a site offers better viewability and ergonomics, but sometimes you just need the full version and can,t get it. Pretty anoying.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Hadn't noticed that, but now that I check my phone there is an checkbox option to "Request desktop site". I'll have to keep that in mind as many mobile sites are terrible. For example Youtube's mobile site is bad and their app is no better.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
o_O
I've been able to disable mobile view on my HTC EVO 3D since the day I got it, I can even change the User Agent. This is the stock android browser, and I'm not sure how this changes anything aside adding a button that changes the User Agent for you rather than typing it in.

frankbough

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]but your mobile company may think you're tethering your phone to a PC using a regular browser and add that extra charge if you don't have that plan...Chrome users may want to think about that before enabling such features....[/citation]

You're suggesting mobile companies check the user agent header of every HTTP request going over their networks to determine if someone is tethering or not? Not being funny that that sounds a bit of an unreliable method. They might just be checking their email when they tether.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Why is this news .. the standard Android browser lets you do this, the Chrome Beta on mobile devices left the check box out an they added it in with the last patch. You make this sound like a new and unique thing to android phones/devices.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
With this move Google in fact prevents software developers and publishers from producing HTML5 based web applications (as opposed to "web sites"). As despicable as it is, this move is logical if you consider Google's interest in apps is in its own apps store...

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Nice. I wish all mobile browsers simply had a global preference setting for this. It wouldn't be too soo if I never saw a "mobile" website (as opposed to the full version) again.

Status
Not open for further replies.