Chrome OS Arriving in 2010 Says Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Could this ultimately lead to a Chrome OS for desktops too I wonder? I wonder which Search Engine would be the browser default... LOL (*sarcasm*)

Should be interesting to see how this goes.

G

Sp will Google need a ballot box to show you the other Browsers you can install! Or is that saved for Microsoft only!

G

What does chrome offer that we do not already have through linux and MS?

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Google's Chrome OS has no plans to attack the desktop market, at least that's what was announced when they first announced the planned OS. It is hardly an OS to begin with, just an application connecting to the cloud. I see it having no significance in the desktop market to begin with which is why laptops which are significantly underpowered will benefit from cloud resources. I'd never want an OS where I have to have an internet connection 24/7 to access my computers resources.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Can anyone explain to me why I need an 'operating system' that requires me to be online all the time, and why in the world would I need to run the applications remotely? I mean yea, if I was a retard and all I needed was a browser to check my facebook account every 2 minutes, I'd understand, but other than that?[/citation]
Salesforce came up with such an idea and now everyone is so crazy about it. Perhaps in a near future, they have Crysis on cloud? :O

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Could this ultimately lead to a Chrome OS for desktops too I wonder? I wonder which Search Engine would be the browser default... LOL (*sarcasm*)Should be interesting to see how this goes.[/citation]
When you install the chrome browser it already has a prompt asking you to choose between google, yahoo and bing.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Personally I really don't see the point of another Linux-based OS, especially if the rumors of Google working on a tablet-centric version of Android is true.

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
chrome os is designed to be fast and reliable
=> so most things happens on the cloud

chrome os on a desktop would be useful if your computer is off and you need to look something up VERY quickly, but it isn't a full blown OS, never was

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'm very disappointed that this is unlikely to appear on tablets. A 10" tablet with a lightning fast OS and a UI that is basically an internet browser with access to many cloud based apps was really appealing to me.

I also really like the concept of the cloud print service Google is developing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.