Chrome OS Could Launch This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]fir_ser[/nom]Hope it would be better than windows.[/citation]You can gauge it by the number of nuisance lawsuits from M$ against hardware vendors using it.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I'm not sure if I want them to wait a little longer. It would be nice to see more support for Chrome OS; which is something I believe will happened soon after it debuts. However, I also don't think its quite ready (judging by my CR-48.)

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]fir_ser[/nom]Hope it would be better than windows.[/citation]

Well for web surfing and cloud based stuff, from what i heard, is pretty decent.

Although, it is really meant just for that. Web and cloud.

Beyond that, powerful video editing tools, autocad, games, or anything else you may do and/or need may not be suited with this OS very well.

Now this is depending on what you mean by "better than windows" ;)

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]fir_ser[/nom]Hope it would be better than windows.[/citation]
You mean like coke is better than coffee, convertables are better than trucks, or iPads are better than desktop computers?

The first is for relaxing or dicking around. The second is for getting shit done. ChromeOS:Windows.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Well for web surfing and cloud based stuff, from what i heard, is pretty decent.

Now quick, define "cloud based stuff". You are referring to Google Docs, Google Mail and some sort of web chat program. There are nothing more then Web Applications, also known as webapps. They've been available for over 10 years in one form or another. There has even been web based storage for over a decade now.

Chrome OS seems to be a specialty device for web browsing, its Chrome web browser with a minimum OS for it to run on. Should be ported to tablet like devices inside of a laptop.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
ChromeOS will require internet connection. ATM wifi even in towns is awful. My biggest fear of this is being left with an OS, with loads of apps yet not able to use them cause there are no suitable wifi hotspots.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Will there be Chrome OS virtual machines that can be downloaded and dropped into VMware Player or Windows Virtual PC? Can a Chrome OS iso file be installed and run on an x86 computer?

I'm not so interested in buying another computer to try it out to see if I like it.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Load of junk. Don't see ANY reason for anyone to do something they can do on Windows/Linux in any other OS, especially cloud-based. WinXP or Ubuntu on netbooks satisfies everyone, Chrome OS will just make you pay for something you're used to being free (I've heard of some "subscription fee", plus the Internet costs). Chrome OS won't "shake" Windows, because it's not even a real OS, and I doubt it will support anything we're used to in Windows. You're all discussing "apps"... what the hell is wrong with you, people? A *computer* is made for running PROGRAMS, not APPS - by that, I mean full-sized programs, not some 400KB pieces of code like we're used to on smartphones! Yes, my Asus Eee PC cannot run Morrowind or Photoshop as fast as my desktop can - but it RUNS them! I don't need to get anything else, I have exactly the same OS as I have on my desktop - and that's the ultimate beauty of a proper OS. It is not dumbed down, it is not simplified, it's exactly the same OS just running on different hardware. As long as I see it, Chrome OS won't be useful for ANYONE, if they really think about it.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Thanks, but I'll keep on running *my* software on *my* computer. Stick it in your cloud and smoke it google - this is a step worse than Apple only letting you install software they approve of (for iOS anyhow), this way you don't even get anywhere near the software you're running!

Status
Not open for further replies.