Chrysler Dropping Printed Car Manuals for DVDs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I just want to know if they plan on doing the same thing with actual Service Manual (you know the big 200+ page book that shows your basically how to dismantle the entire car). Cause if not that whole tree hugging thing is crap. Besides for those who don't know how,for example, to change a tire what good would it do them to have the manual DVD in the glove box when they are on the side of the road? Unless of course they had a laptop or have a in-dash display that could read it but I highly doubt it.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Do they include a DVD player with their cars? I don't read car manuals, but, if I would, I guess it would be in the car when I have a problem, not at home on my computer!

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
You are supposed to read the owners manual when you get the car. Like someone has already mentioned, there will still be a basic manual in print that likely will explain these things to people who simple go about driving around without taking the time to learn where the jack is, where the spare is, etc. Beyond that, I'll say it again, if a modern new car breaks down, YOU CAN'T FIX IT ANYWAY. So manual or no manual, service manual, whatever, it's useless to YOU.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
It's a good move since most people don't even look or even know about the manual. It saves some paper (tree) and CDs can be backed up so it won't get lost or destroyed like papers/books. Good move.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]jitpublisher[/nom]You are supposed to read the owners manual when you get the car. Like someone has already mentioned, there will still be a basic manual in print that likely will explain these things to people who simple go about driving around without taking the time to learn where the jack is, where the spare is, etc. Beyond that, I'll say it again, if a modern new car breaks down, YOU CAN'T FIX IT ANYWAY. So manual or no manual, service manual, whatever, it's useless to YOU.[/citation]

Not that I disagree or anything, but do you really think that the majority of people actually read the owners manual? You probably don't and that is why I think it would be better to just leave it in printed form cause those people will not even read it till they are on the side of the road due to flat tire or what have you. You can fix modern cars it just does require a laptop has a must have in the garage (no big deal at least for me) but the biggest problem I have with the new cars is all the #$%#@, #E$#$ I got to remove just to get to whatever part I need to replace. I agree the older cars, the ones with carbs (wonder how many people even remember those in today's age) or the older fuel injection ones, easier to work on and everything was right there in front of you.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Meh..I'd rather have the printed manual. Anyone who wants the pdf can just google search it. Might as well just give the new car owner a sheet of paper with the url to the pdf. I guess a DVD will last as long as the purchaser owns the vehicle though. Maybe if this saves them any money, they can use the money they save to design better transmissions. It is very common that americans complain that dodge transmissions fail frequently. I've seen enough of them get replaced :/ I think they make good cars, but you gotta make sure you have a good enough warranty when you buy one, although the milage usually will wipe out the years on the warranty.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Not that this would effect me because I'll walk before I buy a Chevy vehicle but I think it's stupid. My manual sits in my glove box from the moment I purchase the car until the moment I sell the car. I can't say how many times the car has done a strange thing I've not seen yet and I pull out the manual, while out on the road somewhere, to find out just what exactly that warning by the speedometer means. Thanks Chevy for no longer affording me that ability. As if I really needed more reasons to stay away from the crap vehicles I can add "No Manuals" to the list that includes "crappy ass cars."[/citation]To quote Celebrity Jeopardy: "aaand you're an idiot." Read the article. Chrysler is the one doing this. But then again, you have submitted little useful information other than the fact that you are biased and your car has shown you warning lights countless times.

"Thankfully, those who insist on still having a printed manual for their cars will be able to special request one from the dealership."

At additional cost, no doubt. Walk into a Chrysler dealership and tell them you need to buy an owner's manual for your new Chrysler, because you lost it. See how much it costs.

For the record, if you own a GM vehicle and you lose your manual or buy one used and there's no manual, you can set up a free GMOC (GM Owner's Center) account and download a new manual. Again, free, and again, they still give you paper manuals with their new cars. This is mostly good for quick reference and you can always print it if yours went missing. They even cover vehicles back to 93.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Finding info is very fast in PDF's as said above(ctrl+F), but, What about that info you need when on the road and the car starts acting up? It should not effect most users, but in some cases the paper manual is a FAR better option. I say give us BOTH....[/citation]
Hence why they also included a 80 page "condensed" manual that's printed which probably includes info on jumping, changing tire,etc. For the other info (such as when to do services,etc) you'll use the DVD.

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
[citation][nom]DoofusOfDeath[/nom]@Honis: Don't worry. If my experience with Chrysler cars is anything to go by, you'll want to get rid of them right around 80k anyway.[/citation]Hmmm, I have a 91 Cherokee with 108K miles, and my friend has a 95 with about 250,000 and both run and work like new. Not to mention they get taken off road frequently. Chrysler wasn't any worse or better than any other American car manufacturer, or at least Jeep wasn't until 2001ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.