Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over Overheating iPads

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I can use my Asus laptop in the direct sun indefinitely without it shutting down. It's called proper cooling. My friend sitting right next to me, his iPad shut off in 10 mins. The iPad is a giant aluminum heat sink with zero cooling properties.[/citation]

yet it has the exact same thermal limits as the Kindle and Kindle 2, and all other passively cooled electronics. Even my cell phone shuts down in high heat. I've seen a blackberry recently completely MELT to a table surface at a family pool, and watched the screen crack from the heat.

95 degrees ambient temp is NOT 95 in the sun. about 81 in the sun exceeds 95 ambient. Surface temps of the device can easily exceed 120 in the sun.

The manual clearly spells out the thermal conditions and limits, and suggests limiting sun exposure in high heat.

It's a fanless device, BY DESIGN, and that aluminum casing MUST be at a lower temp externally than the internal parts. Put it in the sun where the surface can reach temps that can BURN FLESH, and you FAIL.

This is not to complete with laptops, this is to compete with tablets and slates and ereaders. ALL of those use fanless designs, and all have similar heat limits. Kindle2 people are equally complaining, but they get less press as they make less add revenue based on headlines like this.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Vermil[/nom]Well, actually, you do see cameras and cellphones die if they're heated too much. Question is how much do you really see iPads "die"? (they shut down). And under what circumstances precisely? This is an Apple thread on Toms hardware, after all, so it's not like we really know how big the "problem" is in reality.But it's beside the point and you're correct that it's a question of more energy. Only, I think it's more about duration than clocking. You only load the processor in the iphone to the same degree, if you're using it in a similar manner. Which is usually not for long periods. You also tend to shade the phone or camera, when not in use, so the heatsink is moderately hot and can soak up the generated energy without temperatures accumulating. I find it doubtful that iphones or cameras have more capable heatsinks in relation to heat generation, than the iPad. The entire case is the heatsink, after all. I think the issue lies elsewhere.The thing really is that a hot heatsink cannot cool anything. That's just physics. It doesn't really matter if you clock it lower if you can't get rid of the heat at all. It also doesn't matter much how big the heatsink is either. You could design it differently. You could have the heatsink internally and cool it with a fan, so you work with the ambient air temperature instead. Or you could use some kind of heat-pump. But it would be one h* of a contraption. I maintain that the passive cooling is the right design. Simple and neat. I'd rather live with the limitations.It would never enter my mind to use it in sunlight on a summer day. Let those who would, buy the "contraption". Me, I'd take a paperback.The lawsuit is also about wording details in Apple advertising, not about the iPad, so I'd say this is definitely scums out to make a buck on frivolous lawsuits. As usual.[/citation]

I've watched a blackberry MELT on a poolside table recently, and it was only 86 degrees. Screen cracked. Poor guy got a BURN when he tried to (literally) peel the phone off the table.

DIRECT SUN is a very different thing from casual use at 95 degrees. Shit, ask any expert and they'll say the human body is not rated for direct sun for more than 30 minutes at those temps. You expect a metal and black device do do better? I've been burned by steering wheel;s, seat belts, chairs, just the GROUND at lower temps in direct sun, and you expect an LCD matrix that might crack at over 125 degrees to be OK?

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
[citation][nom]lauxenburg[/nom]LOL. Apple thinks they are excluded from certain scientific laws and that theyre products are incapable of heating up and/or they are too cool for using any sort of heatsink or cooling device.[/citation]

No, APple, and Amazon as well for thier kindles, and B&K on the nook, all clearly understoof 95 degrees was the max ambient operating temp. Sunlight can add as many as 25 degrees to ambinet surface temps, so anything over 75 and exposure to direct summer sun could exceed this limit.

Can you not get burned placing a hand on a car in the summer? That's simple metal without a processor and light making it hotter, and yet you can get 1st or even 2nd degree burns from contact with one. Its aluminum and black paint. It ABSOBS SUN. Kindle 2s equally fail in summer heat (read some forums). This is getting attention only because apple makes press, thus makes add revenue.

The specs are clear in the manual, and available prior to purchase. No apple add shows the device being used outside, let alone on the beach at 100 degrees. If you didn't like the terms, you could have returned it. If you didn't do product research, the court has no obligation to protect you (buyer beware applies if product data is disclosed and readily available). If you didn't read the manual, that's your fault. It would be like suing apple for it getting rained on and failing, even though it said "keep dry and below 95% humidity" in the manual. This will be thrown out real fast.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Vermil[/nom]Typical BS! The bias is as obvious and ridiculous as that contrieved attempt to prove something with an invented tale of concrete tires. Pathetic fanboyish!Passive cooling in this case is entirely proper and the correct design choice. Obviously things will get hot in the sun. Everything you let lie in the sun gets hot. Haven't you noticed? Sure it could be kept cool if it comes with its on AC-system and power to drive it. I wouldn't buy such an iPad. Lot's of significant drawbacks for the unnecessary luxury of just keeping an appliance cool in the hot summer sun. To paraphrase your own arguments technique (the kind children use, you can tell I'm not impressed) You're expecting your car to be able to fly, in case some bridge would be down.[/citation]

i'm sorry to say but his attemp was better...cooling is not a asthetic design and if not down properly the device won't run properly...what are you saying? you leave your electronic devices in the sun? well thats plainely retarded
this lawsuit is about using your ipad outdoors...if you don't understand that point i can't help you....you must be one of those that never go outside...
your the one screaming fanboys when your blindly supporting apple....if nuthing is wrong then why are they shutting off...is it that with apple products you have to check the weather before going outside ie. at 28c you can use it at 30c you can't?? what about heat waves? must i put it in the fridge then?.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
to everyone talking about melting products....really???? who is talking about leaving it in direct sunlight...if your phone gonna melt trust me you can't stay still either....better yet all that sweat you producing to keep from a heatstroke will cool down the ipad
btw i live in the caribbean...its hot everyday...you leave any type of plastic in the sun its gonna melt.....but all that is besides the point...and none of the electronics i have ever melted...cuz im not dumb...apple marketed as a ereader so they should have check how people use ereaders....i havent heard anything about kindles overheating

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]There's a lot of downvoting for sensible comments... I'm a little disappointed.Did Apple ever say you could take this outside and use it in direct sunlight? Ignoring the fact for a moment that you would barely be able to read it in such conditions, there IS an operating temperature range and it WILL be printed in the iPad's manual and probably even on the box.The following is taken from http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/...I think it's quite clear that you shouldn't use this outside on a hot day in direct sunlight. What's more, the Kindle has the exact same operating temperature. I'm not sure why people are expecting miracles from a thin device with no cooling.(I feel dirty defending Apple, but still...)[/citation]

But but but the kindle isnt powered by magic!!!

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]No, APple, and Amazon as well for thier kindles, and B&K on the nook, all clearly understoof 95 degrees was the max ambient operating temp.[/citation]

a car sits in the sun is hot but guess what the engine will still work...you know why? adequate cooling...

yes direct sunlight...you what to make it simpler...take your close off and lie in the sun see how long you last before getting burned...does that mean your not suppose to go outside when the sun is out? no!
did the bugatti veyron forgo the radiators to make their car lighter, better looking and said well your driving it wrong, you can only use it in winter.
no where did apple say ipad was an indoor device only.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I would expect it to shut off only at the non-operating temperature (45 C) as that is the standard definition and behavior of this description in high tech devices. It clearly states environmental requirements, not device requirements. (as in external temperature you get from the weatherman, not internal temperature of the device's parts)

I predict Class action will proceed based on that.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]johnh2005[/nom]This is what is wrong with America. Filing a lawsuit for anything that happens. If you do not like the device or it does not work as intended, return it. Get your money back. Stop freaking suing everyone for anything.[/citation]
I don't like all the stupid lawsuits, but when a device does not work as the manufacturer advertised it as working AND the manufacturer is known for denying and blaming problems on the customers, then suing might be the only way to get them to change.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]HavoCnMe[/nom]It works great in the freezer, the only issue i have is getting myself in there.[/citation]

Actually it doesn't. The stated operating temperature is "at or above 0C"

People are suing Apple because they think Apple products are "magical." Surely "magic" can't fail. If it doesn't behave like "magic" then something is wrong.

Normal users would just return this crap and get something else.

Apple users would keep this crap and sue.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
They did post operating temps. So deal with it. Add an Ipack. Its another add on from apple that sells for 50 bucks but you can make it at home with ice and a zip lock bag..

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Wow, lots of Apple haters on this site, probably never used OS X and can only identify between OS X and Linux 4 out 10 tries.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]There's a lot of downvoting for sensible comments... I'm a little disappointed.Did Apple ever say you could take this outside and use it in direct sunlight? Ignoring the fact for a moment that you would barely be able to read it in such conditions, there IS an operating temperature range and it WILL be printed in the iPad's manual and probably even on the box.The following is taken from http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/...I think it's quite clear that you shouldn't use this outside on a hot day in direct sunlight. What's more, the Kindle has the exact same operating temperature. I'm not sure why people are expecting miracles from a thin device with no cooling.(I feel dirty defending Apple, but still...)[/citation]

ya but if it overheats indoors... i dont think there is anyone who really has 95F so if anything seems like it fails in 80-85F probably

and that is horrible for any device... if anything they will always have a safety margin on such parameters knowing well that people will try to use outside of them, a lot of times they just put it to save there butts but in this case they over rated this and its failing even indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.