Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over Overheating iPads

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]feraldiablo[/nom]Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)have you noticed that the operating temperature range is within the nonoperating temperature range?[/citation]

Nonoperating means when the device is turned off, so yes, it will have a larger range.

You lot are really blowing this out of proportion. How do you put a fan in a tablet? More to the point, if, by doing so, you increase its width, power consumption and weight, you'll only complain about it being too thick, thirsty and heavy. Raising the temperature thresholds will just make the thing too hot to hold, and then we'll get more complaints.

The Kindle isn't affected in the same way due to it using eInk, plus it's technically far simpler and uses less way power, but it's still going to have issues under extreme heat. The iPad isn't just an e-book reader, hence the added complexity and higher power and heat, plus its design doesn't lend itself well to viewing in direct sunlight, so why would you?

I'm not a fan of Apple, far from it, but come on, isn't this going a bit too far? zelannii is making some good points here. As for the iPad being powered by "magic", hehe... we all know it's not as good as it can be, but it's certainly not a bad first attempt. If people didn't buy a first gen product, we wouldn't get a second gen one, so you can insult all early adopters all you like, but in the end, it drives research into better and cheaper models, and that benefits us all.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]drutort[/nom]a lot of times they just put it to save there butts but in this case they over rated this and its failing even indoors[/citation]
If this is happening then it is indeed a major issue, however I still maintain that putting anything in direct sunlight is a bad idea.

The iPad appears to be more and more like the Fermi of tablets. You can't doubt its potential, but you just know it's going to require more juice and it'll produce more heat. Due to its complexity, plus Amazon's pessimism with their operating temperature figures, the iPad will be pushing closer towards its temperature limit than a Kindle, but why is this such a surprise to everyone? If they'd added active cooling, it'd have been thicker, hungrier and heavier, and if they'd dropped the specs, we'd be talking a tablet with less power than their phones. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. We can only hope advances in technology make it easier to produce a cooler model sooner rather than later.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
You know, I'm getting sick of all these people going "well of course, if it's in direct sunlight you wouldn't expect it to work" BS excuses. You give an operating temp, and that's the operating temp. Not without qualifiers.

"well, it can operate at 95 degrees, but only on the day of the second blue moon of the year, and only when the cock crows at the 11th hour blah blah blah blah."

Either it operates within its specs or it doesn't, don't throw in special conditions. If in the sun, it can only operate at temps up to 75 degrees, then its operating temp is 75 degrees. Operating a mobile device advertised as an ebook reader seems to me that they might have thought somebody would use it in the sun. And I'm going to be harsh. My company has been sued because of similar failures dealing with heat going to high in reasonable conditions. We currently have some stuff for military use that needs to operate up to 140 degrees. We realize that it's mobile and will be used outdoors, so we're testing it for temps closer to 250 degrees just to be safe.

Sound engineering states you analyse expected usage patterns for a system, and design the product so it can work as expected in those conditions. If it can't, then you kill those expectations, because otherwise it makes you look bad. Period.

kooltime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
No wait keep the busted item while you wait years to get yours repaired as the legal class action litigation works itself out process, ok do that please ahaha.

You are now the proud owner of a 4 year legal fight paper wieght enjoy.

Or do what most smart folks actually do and simply return a busted product for a refund and move on with life.

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Uh using a tablet computer outside on a college lawn with wifi or in a warm room at home seems likes precisely the sort of usage scenarios that iPad should function perfectly in.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I just used my iPad the other day on my front porch (covered so I was in the shade). I have a wireless digital thermometer mounted in the shade and it was reading 98 F. I was out there for about an hour and never had any problems. I do this fairly regulary and have never one time experienced my iPad shutting off due to any issues besides me hitting the power button.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]You know, I'm getting sick of all these people going "well of course, if it's in direct sunlight you wouldn't expect it to work" BS excuses. You give an operating temp, and that's the operating temp. Not without qualifiers."well, it can operate at 95 degrees, but only on the day of the second blue moon of the year, and only when the cock crows at the 11th hour blah blah blah blah."Either it operates within its specs or it doesn't, don't throw in special conditions. If in the sun, it can only operate at temps up to 75 degrees, then its operating temp is 75 degrees. Operating a mobile device advertised as an ebook reader seems to me that they might have thought somebody would use it in the sun. And I'm going to be harsh. My company has been sued because of similar failures dealing with heat going to high in reasonable conditions. We currently have some stuff for military use that needs to operate up to 140 degrees. We realize that it's mobile and will be used outdoors, so we're testing it for temps closer to 250 degrees just to be safe.Sound engineering states you analyse expected usage patterns for a system, and design the product so it can work as expected in those conditions. If it can't, then you kill those expectations, because otherwise it makes you look bad. Period.[/citation]

Subject something to sunlight and THAT is its operating temperature - touch the paintwork on a black car in the shade and a white car in the sun, and the white car will be far hotter to the touch. Apple specified a ceiling of 35 degrees - why didn't people jump on that when the iPad was released? Yes, Apple released something that doesn't like heat, yes, perhaps their temperature ratings are rather too close to the limits for our liking, and yes, and maybe expecting to read it in sunlight is reasonable, but if people had bothered to read the technical details, they'd realise that Apple had covered itself in that area. Watch the official advert on the website - at what point do you see someone using it in sunlight? Like I said before, how easy would it be to read it? Jake Humphrey of the BBC F1 coverage team may wave his iPad around in lieu of a clipboard nowadays (was it even turned on?) but I've only ever seen him make use of it once - indoors.

I think people should research their purchases before they make them. If you bought it out of wanting to be cool, tough luck. If you bought it because it fulfilled a need, did you read up on it first? People check for battery life and features, so I can't see why this is so strange.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm making lots of weak excuses for Apple, but if you have something that turns off at 36 degrees and is rated to run up to 35, you shouldn't blame the manufacturer especially after they've put it on the box.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]You know, I'm getting sick of all these people going "well of course, if it's in direct sunlight you wouldn't expect it to work" BS excuses. You give an operating temp, and that's the operating temp. Not without qualifiers."well, it can operate at 95 degrees, but only on the day of the second blue moon of the year, and only when the cock crows at the 11th hour blah blah blah blah."Either it operates within its specs or it doesn't, don't throw in special conditions. If in the sun, it can only operate at temps up to 75 degrees, then its operating temp is 75 degrees. Operating a mobile device advertised as an ebook reader seems to me that they might have thought somebody would use it in the sun. And I'm going to be harsh. My company has been sued because of similar failures dealing with heat going to high in reasonable conditions. We currently have some stuff for military use that needs to operate up to 140 degrees. We realize that it's mobile and will be used outdoors, so we're testing it for temps closer to 250 degrees just to be safe.Sound engineering states you analyse expected usage patterns for a system, and design the product so it can work as expected in those conditions. If it can't, then you kill those expectations, because otherwise it makes you look bad. Period.[/citation]

Be as sick as you want. There is nothing reasonable at all in your argument. It operates fine at 95. It just doesn't operate fine at 95 ambient air temperature and THEN you heating the case with a blowtorch. Or putting it on a cooking plate and turn it on. ...Or heat it in the sun. And neither does any other tablet, I assure you. Because what you demand is the suspension of physical laws. (Seems it's quite common these days with people asking for that. I suppose we have to blame the education system)

Sound engineering is a compromise of the possible. With an eye on benefits. All cameras do not work under water for instance. Even if one might fear that people like you would think it natural to expect it to. But then there are even people who reportedly expected to be able to dry the cat in the microwave.

The cooling on the iPad is just fine. But it won't work if you heat the coolingsystem. This is no different from any other tablet. The uproar from all the THW whining little kids who feel they're entitled to everything and for free, is just because it's "Apple". As usual. The lawsuit is not about inadequate cooling. It's some scums who hope they have seen an opening, in the wording of some ad, for making a frivolous lawsuit. And you better hope they don't win. Because if they do, we will soon be lugging around heavy & expensive, bulky crates, instead of tablets or laptops. Or even smartphones.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]blasterth[/nom]People should read operating temperatures before buying a product.For the iPad those are 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Is easy to understand that it's not a good product to bring for winter outdoors activities or to be used under the sun in hot seasons.Yes this is a bad design for an eReader (or in general outdoor mobile device), but apple shouldn't be blamed for customers that can't read the specs of a product.[/citation]
The problem is that you are just looking at this logically. You must not read many Apple articles here at Toms because they only post them to get people to complain about all the Apple stories and at the same time letting people vent their Apple hatred. Your logic is not wanted here.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
saying you can't put a fan in a tablet is not an excuse....if so why not an i7? their a4 or whatever is great but if you can't cool it well tuff luck find another way just dont put it out...

xythrax4420

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
it must be adobe's fault its that damned flash again fuxin things up for the geniuses over at apple. Or maybe you are just holding it wrong because the only correct way to hold it is to smash it on the ground.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]wawa sxm[/nom]saying you can't put a fan in a tablet is not an excuse....if so why not an i7? their a4 or whatever is great but if you can't cool it well tuff luck find another way just dont put it out...[/citation]
What are you rambling on about? Haven't you even read the frivolous lawsuit? Don't be so bloody lazy. Doing that should put you up to speed quickly. "like a book". This is just gross abuse of the legal system.

Status
Not open for further replies.