Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over Overheating iPads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
People should read operating temperatures before buying a product.
For the iPad those are 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Is easy to understand that it's not a good product to bring for winter outdoors activities or to be used under the sun in hot seasons.
Yes this is a bad design for an eReader (or in general outdoor mobile device), but apple shouldn't be blamed for customers that can't read the specs of a product.

G

@ blasterth, I agree mostly with your statement, but to make a mobile device to use anywhere you are on the move, and give it such a limited operating range is just folly! Cant use it outside in the sun or on a hot day, come on thats not right!

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
^ +1. Try just being unhappy and having a good moan at things that don't work like we do here in Europe.

Jake Humphrey will look even more stupid with an overheating iPad.

infodan

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I'm with Blasterth here, yes its bad design, but sueing because it doesn't operate outside of its published operating tolerances is a bit dumb. they'll probably win as well is the worst thing.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
There's a lot of downvoting for sensible comments... I'm a little disappointed.

Did Apple ever say you could take this outside and use it in direct sunlight? Ignoring the fact for a moment that you would barely be able to read it in such conditions, there IS an operating temperature range and it WILL be printed in the iPad's manual and probably even on the box.

The following is taken from http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/...

Environmental requirements

* Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
* Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
* Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
* Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

I think it's quite clear that you shouldn't use this outside on a hot day in direct sunlight. What's more, the Kindle has the exact same operating temperature. I'm not sure why people are expecting miracles from a thin device with no cooling.

(I feel dirty defending Apple, but still...)

a_mall

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
Pretty soon another page will come up on apple.com about how hot other products get with a thermometer,etc.

weakerthans4

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]I hate apple but this lawsuit is BS you cant keep electronics in the sun this is a frivolous case these kids think they can get away with this in northern cali where apple have their own personal police!? You probably cant hold a kindle in the sun either.[/citation]

The suit involves all iPad-owning parties in the U.S.

That doesn't sound so frivolous to me. It sounds like a major defect in a recent Apple product. Deja vu anyone?

Steve, go back to your original business plan; you can fool some of the people some of the time.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]There's a lot of downvoting for sensible comments... I'm a little disappointed.Did Apple ever say you could take this outside and use it in direct sunlight? Ignoring the fact for a moment that you would barely be able to read it in such conditions, there IS an operating temperature range and it WILL be printed in the iPad's manual and probably even on the box.The following is taken from http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/...I think it's quite clear that you shouldn't use this outside on a hot day in direct sunlight. What's more, the Kindle has the exact same operating temperature. I'm not sure why people are expecting miracles from a thin device with no cooling.(I feel dirty defending Apple, but still...)[/citation]

While I agree that an open discussion is better than just trashing Apple, some of your points weren't quite right:

1)Nobody told me I could use my phone in direct sunlight. It's still something I expected from it when I bought it.
2) Operating temperature goes to 95F. That's pretty warm for just sitting outside in the sun and enjoying a book. I'd at least sit in the shade at that temp. I'm guessing a lot of these people weren't in 95 degree heat.
3) The operating temperature for the Kindle might be the same as the iPad but the eInk screen produces a lot less heat than the iPad's LCD. I imagine the Kindle doesn't have too much of an issue with overheating.
4) "I'm not sure why people are expecting miracles from a thin device with no cooling." That's like if Ford designed a car with concrete tires because they thought it looked cool then when the car can't go fast, saying "I'm not sure why people are expecting miracles from a car with concrete tires." Proper cooling isn't a deluxe option. It's a necessary part of designing electronics.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I can use my Asus laptop in the direct sun indefinitely without it shutting down. It's called proper cooling. My friend sitting right next to me, his iPad shut off in 10 mins. The iPad is a giant aluminum heat sink with zero cooling properties.[/citation]
No it's not called "proper" cooling. It's called active cooling. Which is obviously what you need to keep cool in the hot sun. If you turn off your Asus, it might very well get a lot hotter. As for the iPad, I think passive cooling is entirely "proper", and that design decision has my 100% approval. And most people with a brain would tend to agree, I'm sure. This is another of those non-issues that are built into a mountain by the usual self-brainwashing, Apple-hating morons on Toms hardware. Just like the iPhone4. There is no "problem". It works just fine. The problem is just inside your imagination, and gets there because you all talk BS to each other. As for the suit, there are frivolous lawsuits for every thing Apple releases. Toms HW threads like this are the ones who always take notice.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]halodude23[/nom]We all knew this was coming because Apple Fails[/citation]
Apple haters make me laugh. I liked this product but because of the sealed battery it was a no buy for me.
Never buy new hardware from any company, especially a totally new design until it has been proven in the field buy the early buyers (beta testers). Lesson learned.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]830hobbes[/nom]1)Nobody told me I could use my phone in direct sunlight. It's still something I expected from it when I bought it.2) Operating temperature goes to 95F. That's pretty warm for just sitting outside in the sun and enjoying a book. I'd at least sit in the shade at that temp. I'm guessing a lot of these people weren't in 95 degree heat.3) The operating temperature for the Kindle might be the same as the iPad but the eInk screen produces a lot less heat than the iPad's LCD. I imagine the Kindle doesn't have too much of an issue with overheating.4) "I'm not sure why people are expecting miracles from a thin device with no cooling." That's like if Ford designed a car with concrete tires because they thought it looked cool then when the car can't go fast, saying "I'm not sure why people are expecting miracles from a car with concrete tires." Proper cooling isn't a deluxe option. It's a necessary part of designing electronics.[/citation]

1) Good point; a typical smart phone is rated 0 - 40C which isn't much of an improvement. Call me narrow minded, but considering the iPad's intended uses, it will be exposed a bit more than a smart phone.
2) Temperature readings are done in the shade to give a true reading of air temperature. The temperature in sunlight will be a fair whack higher. Even on a warm summer's day in the UK, the temperature of direct sunlight will pass 35 - the US will be higher. I shudder to think how usable a tablet will be in Arizona, for example.
3) Maybe so, but direct sunlight will still play a part as will ambient temperature.
4) I'm not sure about your analogy, however try to imagine how someone will put a fan in a tablet. Sure, perhaps a tablet should be able to tolerate higher temperatures, but I wouldn't want to be wearing oven gloves just to hold the thing.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]830hobbes[/nom]While I agree that an open discussion is better than just trashing Apple, some of your points weren't quite right:1)... to 3) just blabbering and guessing..
4)That's like if Ford designed a car with concrete tires because they thought it looked cool then when the car can't go fast, saying "I'm not sure why people are expecting miracles from a car with concrete tires." Proper cooling isn't a deluxe option. It's a necessary part of designing electronics.[/citation]
Typical BS! The bias is as obvious and ridiculous as that contrieved attempt to prove something with an invented tale of concrete tires. Pathetic fanboyish!
Passive cooling in this case is entirely proper and the correct design choice. Obviously things will get hot in the sun. Everything you let lie in the sun gets hot. Haven't you noticed? Sure it could be kept cool if it comes with its on AC-system and power to drive it. I wouldn't buy such an iPad. Lot's of significant drawbacks for the unnecessary luxury of just keeping an appliance cool in the hot summer sun. To paraphrase your own arguments technique (the kind children use, you can tell I'm not impressed) You're expecting your car to be able to fly, in case some bridge would be down.

thekitty

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Free bumpers that you put in the freezer before using only after Apple says to 100,000 users on the phone they will not get a free bumper and should chill.

Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.