Clean install after using upgrade to home premium

BONDIE_86

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Ok, so the time has come for me to sell my fairly new "Samsung N150 Plus" netbook.

The problem is I don't wan't to sell it without doing a clean install of Windows 7 because some of my infomation can be left behind on the netbook.

My first problem is I don't have a disc drive on the netbook or access to an external disc drive which I know can be worked around by using a bootable USB stick, so not too much of a problem.

The second problem I have is the netbook originally came with Windows 7 Starter installed which I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium after a couple of days of owning it, so the product key on the bottom of the netbook is the Starter key but since I have Home Premium if I do a clean install of Home Premium I would only have the Starter key to put into the product key field because it automaticly updated it for me, unless the key remains the same?

I know there are a few programs which will find the key for me but how reliable are they and is there one which is much better than the rest, any reccommendations? :sol:

Also, if I manage to find the Home Premium key using one of those programs will it work because it would no longer be an "upgrade" since I would be doing a clean install.

Any advice on how to go about it would be great.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BONDIE_86

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
I've found the product code and made a bootable usb, will it work though because it was an upgrade from "Starter" to "Home Premium" originally but this will be a clean install... ?

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
What key is in the netbook now, is it the key on the Bottom of the Netbook, or the key from the Windows Premium disk.
If you install win Premium as an upgrade onto the netbook, even though you may have entered the Netbook Starter key you are obligated to provide the Upgrade Win 7 copy.

And yes you can use the upgrade copy to do a clean install.
1) Must select custom install.
2) DO NOT enter the Key untill windows 7 has been completly installed.
3) After win 7 install you will need to do two things before ACTIVATION:
From maiumPC:
A true geek has never been intimidated by the registry, but lets face it, it's a mess in there. To access the registry you will first need to open up the start menu and type "regedit" into the search field, followed by enter. To find the proverbial needle in this haystack, you will need to navigate through the tabs listed on the left in the following order:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ . If you don't like doing it the hard way just click Edit then Find and type MediaBootInstall into the search field, and press enter.

Once found, double click MediaBootInstall and change the "1" to a "0". Once you have finished this, simply click Ok and close out the Registry Editor.

Before we try to activate our copy of Windows, we need to reset or "Re-Arm" the activation sequence. To do this, simply open up the start menu and type cmd but instead of just pressing enter, you need to press "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "Enter" to run it as an administrator. You can also accomplish this by clicking the start menu, typing cmd into the search box, then right clicking the command prompt application and selecting Run as administrator.

Once the command prompt appears type slmgr /rearm and press enter. Next simply type Exit and hit enter again, after which it will ask you to restart your machine.

BONDIE_86

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Ok, thanks. If your still on I'll let you know how I get on after it has installed. Why do I need to do all that? The key on the machine is the home premium key according to winkeyfinder

BONDIE_86

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Also, what is a maium pc and what does the middle bit of the procedure do?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ . If you don't like doing it the hard way just click Edit then Find and type MediaBootInstall into the search field, and press enter.

Once found, double click MediaBootInstall and change the "1" to a "0". Once you have finished this, simply click Ok and close out the Registry Editor.

navalweaponsofficer

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
It sounds like you want to install Starter using your preimum disk. This can be done with the deletion of a file on the windows 7 USB drive the you made.
1. Open the USB drive in explorer.
2. In the search box (top right hand corner) type "ei.cfg"
3. Select the ei.cfg file. You can rename it ei.cfg.old or delete it. I renamed it.
4. Boot the netbook from usb and install windows 7 during the install process you will be promped to select what version you want to install.
5. Select stater and finish the install use the starter product key on the bottom of the Netbook.
6. If it fails activaction just call the 800 number on the screen and the automated system will give you an activation code.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
maium pc = MaxiumPC (my x did not get typed and it is a magazine.

MedeaBootInstall a 1 tells the system that it was an Invalid upgrade (that is no upgrade version was found), the zero says OK

And You ONLY need to do that if you want a clean install.
If you use your Upgrade disk and Upgrade Your existing Windows 7, you would be OK, BUT that may still leave some personal data.

BONDIE_86

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Ah, I've already started, it's nearly finished expanding files. Just done it now, it is installing features now. Will the home premium key work? It is home premium I am installing. When they say upgrade does the computer remember that it was an upgrade or is it just home premium at a discounter price for those using starter?

BONDIE_86

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

Yes, I'm doing a clean instal of home premium (same as was installed). So this ^^ will make the home premium key work if I do it first?

navalweaponsofficer

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
If you formated the the disk before you started the install then you will need to do the regedit or the double install method to get your upgrade key to work. I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure the inplace upgrade key is the same as the normal windows preimum upgrade key. Microsoft controlls what kind of install is performed by the key not the media.

BONDIE_86

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
You can't downgrade though can you? I remember when I wanted to go back to XP from Vista it wouldn't let me... but they are completely different OS obviously, so would it let me go back to starter? I'll try that then instead. When this has finished I'll do a bootable Win7 Starter usb. When you say remove some files from the bootable usb is it not easier/safer to just download a starter iso instead of a home premium iso?

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Take a look at navalweaponsofficer's first post, it explans how to do that.
I've never done it, But it should work. I've often used say an Upgrade DVD to do a clean install, then used my laptop Key. Same Concept

BONDIE_86

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Is it possible to delete the system partition? It is only 100mb but it wasn't there originally. I can't install windows in it or do anything with it, what is it for?

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
NO NO NO, do not delete tha system partition and do NOT stick anything in there. Windows creates it during install and it holds boot info. There are ways to get rid of it, from what I read - But not recommended.

navalweaponsofficer

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
If you delete your partitions when you re-create your primary partition it will automaticly re-create the system partition. you will not be able to use the system partition for storage on the system.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
^ I think he did your method as he stated " It asked me which version" and his question is post install, in which case (as both of us have stated) he should not delete partition, nor write to it.