Cleveland Smart Bins to Rat Out the Non-Recycler

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
So then buy your own can? Don't really live in a city where garbage is collected, but that seems the best solution to be sneaky. Are garbage people really going to go through so much trash to see what's inside it and calculate the % which is recyclable?

mrmoo500

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]So then buy your own can? Don't really live in a city where garbage is collected, but that seems the best solution to be sneaky. Are garbage people really going to go through so much trash to see what's inside it and calculate the % which is recyclable?[/citation]
You Obviously don't live in a city. Most cities have a mandatory trash company that picks up your trash and the cost is included in your taxes.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
They'd be sniffing through my garbage all the time. I'm just plain lazy and only pitch my recycling in massive mounds once or twice a month - and fortunately we can add wrapped or bagged piles to our tiny open plastic bin without a penalty.

However, I think this pro-active idea is going to backfire on them. Instead of people recycling properly people will be more likely to put food-tainted cardboard, unwashed milk bottles, and other improperly prepared recycling trash into the bins. Putting such tainted refuse in with the recycling can cause just as many problems.

flea420

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
So get mad at your neighbor and throw a bunch of cans inside his trash in the morning?
This is just a scam by the city with a major flaw like this one.
What a joke.

G

If they are going to be a bunch of douchenozzles like this then might as well make it easy and have it all sorted post consumer, then Tax the consumer for the service. That way it gets done for sure and people dont have to bother with multiple bins and sorting it out.

G

Great idea! Tax the living heck out of your citizens, penalize them by double taxing the if they work in a suburb and live in the city, create a poor business climate, and expand another city run, big brother, poorly managed tax waste ( anybody been to the flats lately? ). I am so glad I do not live there anymore. I love to visit my family and friends, but how much crap can this city make clevelanders eat?

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]mhgamber[/nom]Great idea! Tax the living heck out of your citizens, penalize them by double taxing the if they work in a suburb and live in the city, create a poor business climate, and expand another city run, big brother, poorly managed tax waste ( anybody been to the flats lately? ). I am so glad I do not live there anymore. I love to visit my family and friends, but how much crap can this city make clevelanders eat?[/citation]

Amen Brother!!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It's definitely a cute cat, and a nice picture, but I'm not getting the connection to recycling. Still, I like it.

Cleveland just gave Joakim Noah more material,and they sure didn't need to.

There's so much potential for abuse from so every angle on this, and so much potential for mistakes and lawsuits, I'm not at all clear this makes any sense. Maybe they are just planning on threatening and hoping leaving it at that. I think once they go further, they open up a can of worms, and a whole bunch of problems they aren't going to want to deal with.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
So Cleveland is now making it illegal not to recycle? Next they will make it illegal if people do not ride bikes at least 5 miles a week or if people do not exercise 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week.

The people that I have talked to about the automated trucks hates them. There is a few times where the garbage people knock over cans and then drive off. They do not get out of the truck to pick up the can and empty it.
Of course this could be just their areas.

tldr: I do not like the ideas. Too much to go wrong and too controlling.

G

Honestly you just charge the crap out of regular garbage. My area charges 3 bucks a bag of regular garbage but recycling is free. We recycle a bunch both because a) you should, you lazy sack and b) it saves us around $40 / month. Just keep ratcheting it up, people can be as lazy as they can afford, but at around $15/bag I imagine even the most stubborn people will take a couple extra minutes a week to deal with it.

Of course people will slough some substandard recycling, but I can't believe the cost for the occasional breach outweighs the benefits. And you have plenty of money for pursuing the cheats.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I don't mind recyclying (which I do) but taking it to this degree (extreme fines) is NAZI environmentalism.Environmentalists are making practically everything people do in their normal lives illegal turning governments into tyrannies.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
The city pays $30 per ton, and earns $26 per ton of recycling.

Last line tells me all I need to know. Want to lower your taxes? Recycle just 55% of all your garbage and the remainder of the pickup is essentially free. Recycle even more and maybe the city can afford to buy some new amenities for a nearby park. This only makes perfect sense.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
In the past recycling companies have required customers to presort their recyclables. You had to put aluminum cans in one bin, plastic in another, for example. That's why I don't currently recycle. If the city I live in wants me to recycle they need to do all of the hard work. That's what I pay them for.

power hungry

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmyjohnwatkins[/nom]Honestly you just charge the crap out of regular garbage. My area charges 3 bucks a bag of regular garbage but recycling is free. We recycle a bunch both because a) you should, you lazy sack and b) it saves us around $40 / month. Just keep ratcheting it up, people can be as lazy as they can afford, but at around $15/bag I imagine even the most stubborn people will take a couple extra minutes a week to deal with it.Of course people will slough some substandard recycling, but I can't believe the cost for the occasional breach outweighs the benefits. And you have plenty of money for pursuing the cheats.[/citation]
[citation][nom]jimmyjohnwatkins[/nom]Honestly you just charge the crap out of regular garbage. My area charges 3 bucks a bag of regular garbage but recycling is free. We recycle a bunch both because a) you should, you lazy sack and b) it saves us around $40 / month. Just keep ratcheting it up, people can be as lazy as they can afford, but at around $15/bag I imagine even the most stubborn people will take a couple extra minutes a week to deal with it.Of course people will slough some substandard recycling, but I can't believe the cost for the occasional breach outweighs the benefits. And you have plenty of money for pursuing the cheats.[/citation]

I agree, in my town we use automated trucks for pickup, and they just weigh your bin before pickup and you are charged for the actual weight instead of a monthly fee. Our recycling pickup is not free, but is a reasonable $5 a month. The system converted me to a conscientious recycle/compost believer. I went from a half full bin to about half a kitchen sized garbage bag every week.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]They'd be sniffing through my garbage all the time. I'm just plain lazy and only pitch my recycling in massive mounds once or twice a month - and fortunately we can add wrapped or bagged piles to our tiny open plastic bin without a penalty.However, I think this pro-active idea is going to backfire on them. Instead of people recycling properly people will be more likely to put food-tainted cardboard, unwashed milk bottles, and other improperly prepared recycling trash into the bins. Putting such tainted refuse in with the recycling can cause just as many problems.[/citation]
As someone who worked in a recycling company, I completely support this.
It sounds like it will cause more problems than it will solve. Not to mention that a lot of people will be angered at the city.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Is it just me or is anyone else noticing that a lot of cities and counties who are crying poor, have like millions of dollar budget problems, slashing jobs and making all sorts of excuses for cutting this and that; somehow have money for things like RFID embedded recycle bins, red light cameras, and God only knows what else.

Status
Not open for further replies.