Clevo P755dm3 Laptop

InOrderToSignIn

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
The Clevo P775dm3 is really appealing to me, as I deal intensively with cyber security tools and virtual machines in my current studies. Right now I am using a Macbook pro, and it is lagging behind like crazy... and I have to use the schools provided VMs which is a huge pain. Whoever says you need a Macbook for university, they're full of it haha. Literally has only lasted a year and a half, and I can already tell I've beat the crap out of it internally. Aesthetically it's fine, of course.

The funny part is, it's only a couple hundred more than the macbook I have now... of course, a lot heavier too. So it will be nice to have the macbook for classes, and the clevo for the intensive stuff.

Anywho, I'm pretty deadset on the Clevo P775dm3, but I just had a few questions.

Is the heatsink made of copper? I noticed that it has been painted black, which makes it hard to tell if it's made of copper like the 870dm3... will I be able to use liquid metal thermal compound on the machine? I plan to repaste whatever machine I end up with Grizzly Conductonaut.

Is the M.2 Slot easily reachable without taking off the GPU/CPU heatsink? If I repaste the machine, I don't want to have to repaste it again just to put an M.2 inside of the machine. (M.2 is out of my budget at the moment, but I plan on putting one in down the road)

Solution
We have been using Clevo laptops exclusively for I guess about 10 years. All the ones I have had so far are copper. I cant speak to the latest line as i don't own one, but if you have questions, I'd call "Larry the laptop Guy" at LPCdigital (assuming USA).

I think that model number was used in Europe for w/ 6700k based lappie that had known throttling issues ... but I assume you are talking about the 7700k model here:

https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np9172-clevo-p775dm3/

larry is very knowledgeable and treats his customers well ... and the discounts we have received (Clevo has a very strict "can not advertise prices below set numbers" policy ... but once ya get them on the phone they can quote you less) over the years are...
We have been using Clevo laptops exclusively for I guess about 10 years. All the ones I have had so far are copper. I cant speak to the latest line as i don't own one, but if you have questions, I'd call "Larry the laptop Guy" at LPCdigital (assuming USA).

I think that model number was used in Europe for w/ 6700k based lappie that had known throttling issues ... but I assume you are talking about the 7700k model here:

https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np9172-clevo-p775dm3/

larry is very knowledgeable and treats his customers well ... and the discounts we have received (Clevo has a very strict "can not advertise prices below set numbers" policy ... but once ya get them on the phone they can quote you less) over the years are better than any I've heard about elsewhere.

Solution

InOrderToSignIn

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
I appreciate the insanely fast response :)

I have a feeling it is copper, as there is an option to put Coollabs Liquid Ultra on it, which is also a liquid metal thermal. However, they have an option to put Liquid Ultra on the laptop for free, should I just go ahead and do that? Or would you suggest putting a regular paste on there, and repaste it with grizzly?

I do appreciate the LPC digital shoutout, unfortunately they are a little bit more expensive than gentechPC, and gentech comes with liquid ultra for free. Which I do think I will end up doing, as it's normally $50-$79 from other resellers. Of course, I will make sure they paste both the CPU and the GPU.

Although, liquid metal thermal is still only like $10-$20, so I wouldn't be adverse to doing it myself. I'm just deciding if doing it myself is worth a couple extra degrees from Grizzly's conductonaut.

Gentech also comes with a 2 years part warranty, whereas most sites give 1 year. That is another major reason I will probably be choosing them. Seems Ken is also very good at making any wrongs, right. Misshaps happen, but he seems to be on top of things.