Clone or create image of failing hard drive?

dcboss

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I have a PC desktop with HD that works now but needs to be replaced soon. Is there a way to clone it so when I replace it with new HD out of the box I can simply transfer not only all the data files but the operating system as well (xp with service pacs 1,2,3) to the new HD and use it straight away? Or would I have to install xp from installation disk onto the new HD after it is installed.... thanks to anyone that can help

USAFRet

Illustrious
If it still actually works, you can create an 'image' with a variety of current tools. Save that image elsewhere.

Upon fail and new hard drive, that 'image' (as of today) can be put on the new drive. It will NOT contain whatever you change between now and then.

But I gotta ask....why XP? Completely unsupported. Dump it and come into this decade.

dcboss

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Understood why xp?...... only be using this desktop for one more year and then leaving country with new laptop.... my current HD shows 228 gig total size - 84 gig free space..... can I transfer image onto 250 gig external western dig HD or does the external "holding place" need to be bigger than 250 gig? Also can you recommend a freeware image prog to use? thanks for your time.....

ArtPog

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014