Cloning an SSD to an SSD via?

LinusF3

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
I have a possibly defective SSD. Its twin is working in another computer. Is there a way for me to image the working SSD and then applying that image to the problematic SSD? Ideally I'd rather not take the functions SSD out but it might be possible to replace temporarily an HD on the working machine with the other SSD. Other options?

Solution
You need to be able to get to the imaging software. Some have a bootable cd that will allow you to boot up into linix or something to run the image software, and then just put the image from the external drive to the wobbly SSD.

LinusF3

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
Makes sense. Both machines should run Win 7 Pro x64 when working.
Functioning new machine has an ASUS Sabertooth mobo, 32 GB RAM
Not yet functioning newer machine has an ASUS Z79-a Mobo 32 GB RAM
Seeing if a clone works on the suspect SSD comes from SAMSUNG tech support.

LinusF3

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
If I image the SSD to an external HD, easy to do, what must the state of the wobbly SSD need to be?
In other words, does it need to be up in Windows? In Windows safe mode? Just findable by the UEFI BIOS? Do I need a boot device?

ss202sl

Honorable
You need to be able to get to the imaging software. Some have a bootable cd that will allow you to boot up into linix or something to run the image software, and then just put the image from the external drive to the wobbly SSD.

Solution