Cloning my laptop hdd with aomei

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davemo

Great
Mar 28, 2018
Have downloaded the free version of aomei that allows disk cloning,I have a hdd given to me as the laptop screen had failed I have bought a sata docking station that allows usb connection. I also have 2 external hard drives that connect via usb.
When using the cloning software I can select my hdd but when I go to the next stage none of my usb devices are showing to select as the destination. I have read the help files which seem to suggest that a usb device can be used but I get the feeling that a usb device has to be prepared before use but the help files do not say how?
Can any one help?

Solution
OK.

Don't create a "clone" on the USB drive. Instead create an "Image" of Vista. The entire drive encapsulated in a single file.
This will allow a fallback position, to go back to Vista if needed.

I much prefer Macrium Reflect, but I guess your AOMEI would work.

As for Win 10?
Completely unknown if you have a valid path to a Win 10 upgrade from your system.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Limitation of an unactivated Win 10 are:

No customization of the desktop or taskbar
A randomly appearing nag text at bottom right. This overlays everything, incl games.

That's it.

I have a test install Win 10 Pro to check exactly this. Installed Dec 8 2016. 490 days.
Runs exactly as it did on Day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.