Closest Windows setup to an iPad w/ Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard?

rwhipple08

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I've been using an iPad + 3rd party keyboard stand as a day planner since 2012. I got a Surface Pro 3 about a year ago, thinking it would be a great bridge between my iPad setup and a traditional laptop. I was wrong...it didn't end up suiting <i>my</i> needs:

-Size: SP3 is too big.
-Design: The kickstand/typecover is awkward and floppy. The rigidness of the iPad-in-a-Logitech-keyboard or a traditional clamshell is a must for me.
-Battery: I never even *think* about taking my iPad charger with me to the office. With the SP3, that's a must-have.
-Pen: I thought I'd use SP3 pen a lot to mark up PowerPoints in meetings etc...it just never happened.

I'm considering buying a different Windows machine before I deploy later this year instead of taking my Surface with me.

Any recommendations from the crowd? Particularly for any Surface-users/former-Surface users?

For reference, this is the keyboard I use with my iPad. It's perfect for what I need.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-ipad-air2?crid=1608

metalicgeek

Estimable
Have you considered maybe the older Surface Pro 2? With an i5-4300U processor, it certainly packs a mighty CPU punch, despite being 10" rather than the 12.1" of the Surface Pro 3. Add the optional Power Cover attachment, which is a more rigid keyboard that also extends your battery life, and you may just have a winner for your requirements.

rwhipple08

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Actually, I really do like the size of the SP2. However, the kickstand/type-cover setup is a dealbreaker for me. I know MS wants to push this kickstand thing, but I'm surprised no one has come up with one the third-party type keyboards/clamshells that I love on my iPad. I figure there should be a demand for them, but apparently not. Or MS is squelching it to get people on board with kickstands.