Coaxial Cable or Ethernet?

AEM

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
So I recently switched from AT&T to Comcast for both internet and TV to their X1 for 105 mpbs internet speed. The coaxial cable spans about 35-40 feet from the ground outside the house to the TV in the living room. There is an amplifier and a splitter for the TV in the master bedroom which is about 50+ feet away to get signal and for the modem which is next to the TV. I want the modem/router to be in the office to have wired connections (because I believe it's better than wireless and it's my old setup with AT&T) but I do not have a coaxial cable running to the office.

So my main question is, should I get an electrician to split the coaxial cable in the attic and drop down a wire to the office (30 feet distance) or should I leave the modem where it is and use an Ethernet wire to drop it to my office and place the router there (40 feet)? My main concern is I don't want to have a significant amount of signal loss for my internet. I don't know what kind of coaxial cable I have, but if it helps, the house was built in 1990.

Thanks.

Solution
i'd probably run a cat5e from the router to a network switch which i would place in your office. (or a wireless extender or router if you want wifi too)

my distances are less (perhaps 30ft) but the router is in the other room and in this one i'm using a netgear 5 port gigabit switch to route to all my devices. works great.

i'd probably run a cat5e from the router to a network switch which i would place in your office. (or a wireless extender or router if you want wifi too)

my distances are less (perhaps 30ft) but the router is in the other room and in this one i'm using a netgear 5 port gigabit switch to route to all my devices. works great.

Solution