• Check out all the best Amazon Prime Day deals 2021 here!

Coding laptop for Linux - light and not too expensive

mkornblum

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Hi all

I'm in the UK and looking for a new laptop to install Ubuntu on. I have a reasonable spec desktop for gaming and coding so I don't need a dedicated graphics card, but I'm a freelance developer and need a work machine that I can carry around every day.

I'm happy with a 13" screen, could go up to a 15" but the priority for me is weight rather than size (as long as there's a full size keyboard). I'd like a decent res as I'll be staring at it a lot, but I don't care much about colour reproduction or anything as long as I can read my code :)

I'm torn whether to spend in the £500 or the £800 range; I'd rather not spend much but don't want to feel like what I've got doesn't do the job in a few months time.

I'll need at least 8GB RAM, don't mind too much having an HDD as opposed to SSD (even a small one is fine), would like a reasonable processor, ideally quad core, and everything else is negotiable.

I've been looking at Thinkpads and am keen, but the range is baffling; I quite like the looks of the S440, the L440, the T440p, the E545 and the S540 (more or less in order of priority I think) - I've customised them on the Lenovo site and the cheapest is £365, then a couple are £650-750 and the most is £919 which is a little higher than I feel comfortable with.

I'd also consider other brands, but Thinkpads have a good reputation with Linux and I fear driver incompatibility.

Any suggestions welcome.

mkornblum

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
...as long as you have driver support :)

Cheap also seems to mean bulky and fairly heavy from what I can see - I was hoping someone would have a recommendation for something lightweight that I may have missed.

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
Ubuntu auto-detects drivers very well and is much better on old systems than Windows. My PC did not need one driver to work great, because it automatically detects and installs the drivers.

G

I am running Linux Mint on an Acer bought 6 years ago and I approve this

mkornblum

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Fair enough, though it was a PITA for my desktop with a Radeon GPU and a silly gaming mouse. Not that these are likely to be factors with the laptop :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Xmxndxlxdxvxc Laptop General Discussion 1
dsouza_alroy Laptop General Discussion 0
M Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 5
H Laptop General Discussion 1
arnuld Laptop General Discussion 3
C Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 11
M Laptop General Discussion 4
D Laptop General Discussion 5