Combo Jack Not Letting Me Use Built-In Microphone

havesomerekage

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017
Hello all, I just got my new Razer Blade 1060 and I tried to use Skype, but upon plugging my HyperX Cloud II headphones into the 3.5mm combo jack, I realized that my laptop treats the built in microphone and any microphone plugged into the combo jack as the same object. (It also treats the headphones as the same object as the built in speakers) This is odd because if I plug the headset into the sound card it comes with then into the USB 3.0 port, both the headphones and microphone register as different devices from the standard "Microphone" and "Speakers," but even then, it only lets me use the Cloud II microphone. This wouldn't be a problem if my headset's microphone was any good, but my microphone barely works anymore. If anyone could let me know how to fix this that'd be great! Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any replies.

Solution
That is really common with newer devices and their so called combo jacks. If going through the USB port, and it registers as separate, then you should be able to go into "Control Panel" and then "Sound". Click on the "Recording" tab at the top and then right click on the headset microphone (when connected). Choose "Disable", then right click on the built in mic and choose to make that one the default. It 'should' allow you to do that, while still letting you use the headset to hear.
That is really common with newer devices and their so called combo jacks. If going through the USB port, and it registers as separate, then you should be able to go into "Control Panel" and then "Sound". Click on the "Recording" tab at the top and then right click on the headset microphone (when connected). Choose "Disable", then right click on the built in mic and choose to make that one the default. It 'should' allow you to do that, while still letting you use the headset to hear.

Solution