Comcast charging now for small boxes

JulianaMoon

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Hi,
I live in Tennessee, and when Comcast went from analog to digital, we were told we had to change our TV cable box to receive Comcast cable, andwe were allowed to have 2 small converter boxes for other rooms for free. Anything after that would not be free, and if we wanted another main digital box, we would be charges $9.99. Well, I got the big box for the TV in the Living Room, and the 2 free boxes for the 2 bedrooms. I was just looking at my cable bill, and they are charging me for the 2 additional small boxes in the bedroom, which were supposed to be free. What happened? I thought it was against the FTC rules to charge for the first 2 additional boxes an the main digital box. Now I am being charged for each box except the main one in the living room. I am really upset. Iam on SSD, (disability), and that money could be putting food on my very bare table. I am very poor. Poverty poor. No food at the end of the month poor. Is this legal? I called and talked to someone in another country which was frustrating as she could not understand me, and she kept repeating the same thing over and over. "Yes, you are paying for the 2 boxes". I know that!!! I was told I would never have to!!! Help!!!
Thankyou,
Juliana

Solution
Please disregard the snarky remarks from some forum posters.

I would definitely try to contact Comcast again. When you reach their support line, assuming it's a non-native English speaker, request that you be forwarded to the next tier support.

It's my understanding (as well) that the first two set top boxes come free of charge. Any additional boxes are for a monthly fee. There is probably some confusion on Comcast's part where you have one DVR type box and two digital to analog (DTA) boxes.

-Wolf sends

JulianaMoon

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

I understand your attitude. It was a metaphor. Thanks for your advice anyways, but that was not related to my question about the legalities of being charged for something that was forced onto me, (if I wanted to keep watching TV), and was told was going to be free. I live in a very rural area, and an antenna gets me nothing frequent lightening hits. In this area, you have to have cable. Comcast is the only provider here.

Please disregard the snarky remarks from some forum posters.

I would definitely try to contact Comcast again. When you reach their support line, assuming it's a non-native English speaker, request that you be forwarded to the next tier support.

It's my understanding (as well) that the first two set top boxes come free of charge. Any additional boxes are for a monthly fee. There is probably some confusion on Comcast's part where you have one DVR type box and two digital to analog (DTA) boxes.

-Wolf sends

Solution

JulianaMoon

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Thankyou so much. I just needed someone to verify that I was in the right. These companies slip stuff in on you all the time.

Now Wolf, do you know anything about Athens Utilities Board in Athens, TN? LOL We are one of the poorest states in the nation, but Athens has the highest utility bills I have ever received. I am from MI, and the bills are higher here than there. I also have talked to other people about it, and they're just stumped. Higher bills than upstate New York??? (We have a lot of retirees here). Even the next town over, (which has a different utility service but still through TVA), is 1/3 less than ours. You should see the bill! They charge you for water going in, and then charge you twice as much for water going out. Plus, an availability fee on each utility. Just to have electric, they charge me 16.00 a month. For water coming in...9.50. For water going out, (sewar), 17.00!! Just the availability fee!!! Then the actual usage is charges, taxes and other crap. It's over 350.00 a month!!! And I have a small home!!! Who would I contact? I can't contact AUB, they have the monopoly on this city. Anyways, that's my gripe today...and every month!!
Thanks Wolf!!

Unfortunately, such are the hazards of rural living. It may be that you live in a very poor county outside of urban living, but you do have urban services (sewer, water, cable TV, etc...). Maintenance of these services in rural areas costs a lot of money. Those fees are transferred to the customers. The only person to talk to would be your state representative in your jurisdiction.

-Wolf sends

JulianaMoon

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

Thankyou. I will do that!!