COMCAST digital adapter box problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigivercotti

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I'm having problems tuning in several channels with my COMCAST digital "adapter" going into analog TVs.

This appears to be a relatively new problem with specific channels (COMCAST SPORTSNET and VERSUS on channels 38 and 37) but I'm not sure when exactly it started, other than I know it has something to do with how COMCAST has changed their signal to digital from analog, although I don't know if this happened from day one they did that, or if this is something new.

I am only really getting bugged by it now because of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Sigh. Guess I should try to explain.

This has something to do with how COMCAST's "digital adapter boxes" do not seem to like having the slightest degradation in their input signal.

This was never a problem when the TV signal was all analog. I could run long coax cables or split the signal mutliple ways into different VCRs etc with no problems.

But I find that these digital adapters go nuts and don't work right unless they are plugged directly into the cable drop with a wire of only like 5 feet long, and if the cable is split prior to going INTO the digital adapter box then that screws them up.

Trying to run a long cable to them they do not even work at all - back when the cable signal was analog I used to run a long cable from my living room to a TV in the kitchen occasionally which worked fine but I've found that in order for that to work with the digital adapter the adapter has to be in the living room connected direct to the wall drop with a short cable, then the long cable can be run to the kitchen - meaning you can't change the channel without going back to the living room since of course the adapter box is the tuner and it is in a different room. But I can live with that annoyance.

What I am having a BIG problem with is my setup in my finished basement. This is where my PCs are, my main TV is, my stereo setup etc.

I have VERIZON FIOS as my internet/phone service. The FIOS connection comes into the house into the basement into the utility room in to some kind of FIOS box. To get that then over to where my PCs are in the next room in the basement, Verizon hooked their stuff up to the cable run for my house, which means that the cable drop in my finished basement near the TV is what is ALSO used for my PCs internet connection, by having that connection SPLIT into two cables coming out of the wall drop, one then going in to my network router near the PCs, and the other then used for my TV signal in this room.

This worked FINE back before COMCAST switched over to all digital.

But now the split cable has to go into the COMCAST digital adapter box instead of directly into my TV or VCRs. And it doesn't work right!!!!!!!!!!

2 of my channels are screwed up - COMCAST SPORTSNET (38) and VS (37) - channels I use to watch sports (the Flyers and the Phillies).

COMCAST SPORTSNET (channel 38) is especially difficult to watch. The signal constantly glitches out like every 10 seconds with visible digital artifacts and every 2 or 3 minutes or so it even drops out to a black screen with a message that says "One Moment Please. Your service has been temporarily interrupted. It should be restored momentarily".

The same thing happens with trying to watch Channel 37 (VS) although not as bad. And of course my team is in the Stanley Cup quarterfinals and I want to watch (AND TAPE) the games - without constant glitches and dropouts!

I found if I disconnect the splitter and hookup the adapter box DIRECT to the wall, the box works fine. It only screws up if the cable is SPLIT, which it NEEDS TO BE IN ORDER FOR ME TO GET THE INTERNET CONNECTION TO MY ROUTER/PCs. So I have to disconnect my internet connection in order to be able to watch channels 37 or 38 :-(

I've tried using old cable signal booster boxes with no luck. The COMCAST adapter boxes only work right if they are connected direct to the wall, no split inputs, no boosting going into them, etc.

Is there ANY WAY that I can split the signal properly and still have the effing adapter box work?? I need to have my internet connection working in this room AND be able to watch or record COMCAST SPORTSNET without it constantly glitching out. Is there such a thing as a splitter or booster made specifically to work with DIGITAL SIGNALS instead of analog ones, that will work with this goddam COMCAST digital adapter?

Sorry for the long winded note. There is actually a lot more to this as I've done quite a bit of tinkering/testing/debugging in order to figure out what I have thus far. Hope it makes some sense...thanks for any useful advice.

(And GO FLYERS!!)

Solution
yes it's a special amp for digital cable and internet
you must use a broad band bi directional cable amplifier, and it must be installed at the cable entrance, before any splitters, otherwise it will amplify noise. You must use high quality splitters, not the cheap ones. Make sure the splitter has a bandwidth of at least 1000 mhz. you should be using RG6 cable not RG59. The connectors must be installed properly or you will have problems. never staple coax wires, it mashes the wire and screws up the impedance of the cable, use wire ties instead.
If there is snow after you install that, try lowering the gain of the amplifier. You can buy a decent bi directional amp at radio shack. It's not the best but it works pretty good. You need bi...

You must install a cable amplifier, at the point where the signal enters the house, before the splitters. There is too weak a signal to make it through all of the splitters or long cables. The amplifier and splitters should be bi-directional. Radio Shack and other manufacturers sell these units. The gain should be adjusted high enough to overcome the splitter loss, but if the gain is adjusted too high, there will be snow in the picture.
The cable company should also give you enough signal level, but very often they don't. They will also blame problems on the customers equipment.
If you want to have comcast troubleshoot it, be prepared for a lot of run around. If you want to install your own amp, go for it. These problems are very common and fighting with the cable company about it is a big headache.

luigivercotti

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Thanks Soundguru.

I've tried a bunch of things but did not think about amplifying the signal BEFORE the split (especially since I used to amplify it AFTER the split on the VCR cable run which solved a problem I had with snow on some channels, prior to COMCAST changing their signal to digital).

I may need to buy something newfangled now though, but I'll try my old analog booster box, also I have an old UHF/VHF/FM cable booster box that has an adjustable gain - I'm wondering if there is something special now though, that works for boosting digital signals instead of these older boxes that I have.

yes it's a special amp for digital cable and internet
you must use a broad band bi directional cable amplifier, and it must be installed at the cable entrance, before any splitters, otherwise it will amplify noise. You must use high quality splitters, not the cheap ones. Make sure the splitter has a bandwidth of at least 1000 mhz. you should be using RG6 cable not RG59. The connectors must be installed properly or you will have problems. never staple coax wires, it mashes the wire and screws up the impedance of the cable, use wire ties instead.
If there is snow after you install that, try lowering the gain of the amplifier. You can buy a decent bi directional amp at radio shack. It's not the best but it works pretty good. You need bi directional amp for your internet to work properly.
All the cables should be home run to a central point, don't install a splitter into another splitter etc...that's the wrong way. Just ask if you need more help, it's OK. soundguruman@yahoo.com :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

Solution

ancientwisdom

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Ancientwisdom

Thought I would add my ten cents worth but"soundgurumai" have already given you all the information I intended to give,First inspect the cable run from the Comcast box to wherever the Digital Adapter is being used, replace with RG59 as necessary, throw out any splitters that are less than 1000mhz, watch out for cable runs behind walls (that was the cause of my problem), sound guru was right on the button

luigivercotti

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Sorry but I forget to reply up here about this, just got a notification about a new reply though - update is that I followed SG's advice and got a bidirectional amplifier; and the problem was solved!

Ironically, I mentioned this on a different forum as to something I was going to try, and all I got there was flak, that I should NOT install that amp, that it would cause my FIOS traffic to bombard the COMCAST network or some such weirdness.

All I know is that my TV picture is now fine, and I have noticed no ill effects with my FIOS network either.

No, it will not cause your fios to bombard the network, but it will give you the signal you need to get good internet speed.

*Always hook your internet modem directly to the ONE splitter, where the cable comes into your house.

* The amp goes BEFORE the splitter, at the cable entrance.

* The better your signal level, the higher your internet speed. Weak signal = low speed.

* Use RG-6 cable, not RG-59, especially for internet connections.

* TEST your internet speed! Try http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
If you are not getting the speed you pay for, COMPLAIN loud and LONG!

* NEVER settle for low internet speed, making the cables direct (without more splitters) will give you the best speed.

* IMPORTANT: spray Deoxit 100 on all your cable connections (just a little). This will stop the connection from oxidizing. Oxidized connection will loose speed! Buy Deoxit from CAIG chemical company or your local electronics supply. This works especially well if you live near the ocean, or in a humid climate. Other products will not protect as well as DEOXIT.

rotten fred

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

rotten fred

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

This forum helped me solve my issues with the digital adapters. All it took was a bidirectional amplifier ($50 at Radio Shack). I'm really annoyed. After a week's worth of agitation and phone calls to Comcast, they said a technician would have to come to my house and if the problem was IN THE HOUSE they would bill me. This really starts to smell like a scheme. Why doesn't one of these polite people at Comcast even mention that I may be dealing with a weak signal? And like this individual, everything worked find until the digital adapters arrived. Grrrrrrr................

Status
Not open for further replies.