Company demands we get a cell phone for work and give them access

robintyrrell71

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
My work is demanding everyone have a smart phone and give them access to my location by jan 2017 or we are fired. I am a food demonstrator at walmart but work for a different company. Im not signing their paper because Im not giving access to my phone. We dont use our phone at work now. we fill out a report on our computer or phone when when i get home from our demo. I dont trust walmart at all. Can they force this on us?

Solution
We're a tech Forum and not a legal firm but in the UK, only your actual employer could enforce such terms so you need to start with them. If they signed up to it, all you can do is leave. Harsh but experience here shows that companies that size get what they want, even if it means contracting the job to another company.

I know nothing about other countries.
We're a tech Forum and not a legal firm but in the UK, only your actual employer could enforce such terms so you need to start with them. If they signed up to it, all you can do is leave. Harsh but experience here shows that companies that size get what they want, even if it means contracting the job to another company.

I know nothing about other countries.

Solution
If they provide you a phone, there is no reason why they can't have tracking of the device during business hours. If they can force you to provide them access to a personal phone is another matter, contact the EFF https://www.eff.org/ they may have a free consult with a lawyer or have some more details for you. If they pay for the service for the phone (since they say you need it for work now), and the tracking is only during work hours and they can prove it is only during work hours, then it may be fine for them to do that.