G

"Company Set to Launch MP3 Successor"

Here lemme fix that for you:

"Company Set to Launch MP3 Successor That Will Fail to Unseat the MP3 Format"

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
"Company Set to Launch MP3 Successor That Will Fail to Unseat the MP3 Format"

Aw, you beat me to it. Yep, there are plenty of other formats that are better than MP3, but none of them beat MP3's versatility.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
MP3s are like the Windows OS, Common, comfortable, good enough, and supported by alot of hardware and software. Sure there are better formats than MP3s, but as long as the above remains true MP3's won't be replaced any time soon.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
not interested. i don't trust them. also what about people that buy the cd's and rip them to their computer, do they get anything special

2shea

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
just wait till internet is fast enough to support flac quality based downloads easily and this this will fail. Of course hdd capacity must grow with it but I don't see any stop to that soon.
The info couldn't be more redundant thanks to the options of winamp for me, just put it in my /carebox plz... -> \__/

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
LOL... almost got my hopes up. Thought this had something to do with a higher quality audio standard set to succeed the quality, popularity, and success of the MP3 format. Instead it's just the same MP3 with more DRM crap, probably in an attempt at further limiting the rights of use for the honest consumer. MP3's don't sound all that great on a pair of good headphones, I'd rather use the extra space for higher quality audio.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
ahh I can see it now.....people getting to the end of a song and saying wtf....... I don't remember a commercial fading in at the end of that song?!?!?

ChefOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
"What we are bringing back to the end user is the entire emotional experience of music"

You've got your work cut out for you sir, so far I am utterly unmoved and unimpressed by your creation

kencolestud69

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
ROFL! Just wait, when MusicDNA comes out everything released in that format will just be re-encoded to mp3. I really see no need for album art integration. Album art looks cool once in a while on my iPhone but can you really see it when your mp3 player is tucked away in your pocket. As for "emotional experience of music", go to a concert.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
So funny..
Those corporate managers are desperately trying to reinvent the wheel in order to get rid the non-profitable mp3 format.. I don't have problem with that. Spend all your RIAA money on advertisement and promotion of a useless product!

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I'm confused. What is this going to provide users over mp3?

I can find the album art online, can get the lyrics automatically (in most cases) through a Songbird add-on, I'm pretty sure I don't want my music updated excepting to find new concert dates locally (which Songbird can do), and I can do this by using regular mp3 files with no possibility for DRM.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]"Company Set to Launch MP3 Successor"Here lemme fix that for you:"Company Set to Launch MP3 Successor That Will Fail to Unseat the MP3 Format"[/citation]No joke! Although I was thinking more like "Company Set to Launch Audio Format Based on MP3 Only With Extra Crap You Don't Want"

I mean seriously, I clicked on the headline thinking it was some new advanced format designed to give AAC, Vorbis, WMA a run for their money in terms of superior compression (especially for high frequency and multi-channel sound). All while remaining as free to work with as MP3 has become.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
"This may be some type of DRM hidden behind new interviews, social network updates, or other news content."

And there you8 have it, the key word.... DRM ........

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
really? how mny songs you listen to in MP# format do you care about lyrics or updated art for?
even if it was free, I would stick with MP3 or AAC or such.

I dont know about most people..I like to just listen to my music, not watch it or oogle at the cover art.
if I wanted lyrics and art to go with the song, Id download music videos..
99% of the time I use maybe 2-3 slots of the MP3 tag areas..give me song, and artist text..thats all I need to know about whats playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.