Nov 6, 2012
Hey

my school requiers me 8GB Ram AMD or Intel Virtual Technology

so i found this :
Toshiba Satellite C50D-A-13U
it cost here 433 Euro and 10 work day shipping +
-----------------------------------------------------------
Lenovo B590 MBT3LMH - Pentium 2020M / 2.4 GHz
it cost 368 euro but has 4GB 1600 mhz ddr3 ram i can ad for 35 euro my self a 4GB more with 1600mhz ddr3 comes me on a total of 390 and can get it sooner than the toshiba but is it worth it ?
The ram is gonna be Corsair Value Select - DDR3 1600Mhz

Is the Lenovo better than the toshiba ? and can i play like minecraft sometimes on the lenovo of do decent gaming sometimes ?

Solution

First off, the processor in the Toshiba is a Quad-core. I agree, I overlooked the CPU of them (1.5 GHz vs 2.4 GHz).
Both are low-end processors. As the graphics card of the Lenovo only says Intel HD Graphics, I have no clue which version this is. If it's the 4000, then it's almost as good as Toshibas AMD Radeon 8330, with a little extra Core speed, but lack in GPU Display specs. This is ignorable, as both (again) are...

Kryptonous

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
To answer simply:
If you only look at the price it should become clear that the Toshiba is better then the Lenovo.
Putting that aside:
If your school requires 8GB Ram, then that laptop should fit your needs.
If you want to play Minecraft on it, then it'll do so, no problem.

IF you want to do some DECENT gaming, then I'm gonna say no: that laptop is not good enough to do some decent gaming.
You won't be able to play the recent games, even on low settings. Some older games perhaps, like CoD Modern Warfare 3 on low settings could be working (only looking at the graphics card though, not at the other specs) but is not recommended.

So in short: for study purposes it'll fit your needs perfectly.

vinootje

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
why the toshiba should be better if you just look to a price ?

AMD A4-5000 vs Intel Pentium 2020M
4GB ddr3 1600mhz vs 8GB DDR3L 1600Mhz. (ofcourse i will upgrade the 4gb to 8Gb if i buy that laptop for my study)

and the Lenovo saves me around 25-30 euros

can u explain why u think the toshiba is better ?

Kryptonous

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014

First off, the processor in the Toshiba is a Quad-core. I agree, I overlooked the CPU of them (1.5 GHz vs 2.4 GHz).
Both are low-end processors. As the graphics card of the Lenovo only says Intel HD Graphics, I have no clue which version this is. If it's the 4000, then it's almost as good as Toshibas AMD Radeon 8330, with a little extra Core speed, but lack in GPU Display specs. This is ignorable, as both (again) are low-end graphic cards.

The only noticeable difference between the two (as far as I can see) is the difference in RAM size. But as the Lenovo would be upgradeable to 8 Gb, that one would be actually better then the Toshiba.
And the size of the HDD: 750 Gb vs 500 Gb. But you can always buy an external HDD afterwards.

Conclusion: the Lenovo would be better compared to the Toshiba, compared to price, processor and (in case of 4000 or higher) GPU.

Forget what I said about the prices, I didn't see the difference in the processor. Good thing you searched a bit on your own too. :)

Solution

vinootje

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks. since i compared intel 2020m to a a4 5000 and the 2020m beats it. the Ghz is not everything but also the L2 cache etc. and intel is a bit better than amd in that at those low ends cpu's

also thje toshiba takes for minimal 2 weeks of shipping and can take 1 month +

i need my laptop before my 23th august.

The lenovo the store has 5+ in store but if they are sold out i cant reoder one since it not deliverable anymore by the suppliers

also i can pick the lenovo right away up and the ram also whice gets me around a 404 euro while the toshiba cost around 433 and than waiting 2 weeks atleast

How about the battery life of the Lenovo do they die fast and is lenovo trustable ?

Kryptonous

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
When I'm talking about the processor, I'm talking about it as a whole piece. To make it more understandable for people, I only mention the amount of GHz, as that is more common/known. Also, it's of course an important factor, but it's always not too good to find a laptop in a hasty way, to have it before a certain date. A laptop is often a longterm investment, except if you have the money for it, of course.

About the battery life, I have no experience with Lenovo laptops, but I heard from some people (even a reseller) that its quality is not the best.
(Do not feel unsure though: are you going to use the battery a lot? Otherwise, when home, just take out the battery module and plug it into the wall (just make sure you got a full battery though) when using it. If you're going out, plug in the battery and you're good to go. This way your battery will last a little longer (-> Put it away safe though)).

I hope that answers your question :)

vinootje

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
the main problem i care about the battery i heard those can die pretty fast and most likely just have 6 months warranty. but i hope the lenovo is good quality i am gonna use it for 3-4 years just for server creating for school and not really gaming just if im in the car traveling 1 day or so minecraft but thats it :)

DSzymborski

Distinguished
I wouldn't worry too much about the battery. Batteries, by their very nature, have a limited life expectancy. By the time your laptop hits its second birthday, you will have already noticed a significant decrease in the length of time you can go without charging it. If your laptop's going to be used heavily, assume that you're going to be buying a new battery at some point.