component connected TV has signal noise when VGA (G4 Mac) or the audio input is connected

JeffreyR

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
I have an Insignia 24" TV that is connected to: AppleTV & BlueRay via 2 HDMI inputs; to RCA TV antenna via coaxial RF cable; Spectrtum Cable box via component cables; external BOSE companion speakers via headphone 3.5mm headphone jack.
All which work without a problem until i try to connect either the VGA (from mac G4) or its audio output or both. as soon as i try to connected the picture and sound of the Component received signal degrades with a scrolling line on the picture and a hum i the speakers. What can I do to make this work without giving up something?

Solution
You seem to have a ground loop problem
If it happens with either the VGA or audio then you would need to isolate the grounds of both. You can temporarily use a ground lifter on the AC cord of the PC to check if this is the problem. This isn't safe for permanent use.
Audio isolators are not expensive but VGA ones are. MIght be cheaper to get a video board with HDMI.
You can also try changing the way the TV and PC are connected to AC. If they go to the same place separated them and if they go to different outlets plug them into the same outlet strip.
You seem to have a ground loop problem
If it happens with either the VGA or audio then you would need to isolate the grounds of both. You can temporarily use a ground lifter on the AC cord of the PC to check if this is the problem. This isn't safe for permanent use.
Audio isolators are not expensive but VGA ones are. MIght be cheaper to get a video board with HDMI.
You can also try changing the way the TV and PC are connected to AC. If they go to the same place separated them and if they go to different outlets plug them into the same outlet strip.

Solution