Compress video without encoding again?

1zacster

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
I record xbox gameplay and px gameplay with different applications. On pc I use fraps and I have an hd pvr for xbox gameplay, the only problem is that they both output massive files that vegas refuses to work with unless I convert it to another format. Is there any software that can easily compress them (preferably loss less) and doesnt take hours on end? Currently I have a i5 650 (I know, pathetic for video editing) and don't want to drop the money on new parts right now.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
When you compress a video, each frame of the video is analyzed and whichever compression algorithm you've selected is then applied to each frame. So no, to compress a video it has to play through the entire video and that generally takes a lengthy amount of time.

The best way to speed up video compression is to run the compression software off a SSD, and to also have your GPU do the processing, as GPUs perform parallel processing much better than CPUs do.

1zacster

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

Right now I use wondershare video converter and it is pretty slow. My gpu us a 560ti at 950mhz 1gb at 2153mhz.

1zacster

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

VERY useful program. There are only 2 things that would make it PERFECT. 1. an optional right click dialog. right click on a video file and there is an option of "covert with reincubate" 2. able to drag and drop video right into the program.