Compressing a File ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovinglife

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
I have a 8 gb file... I want to compress it to its minimum possible size without loosing any content from it. Is it possible ? If so, what software or technique do I use ? thanks!

Solution
1. As said, there is no way to predict the final size. You'll just have to try it.
2. Compressing the game in its installed state on your machine, then him uncompressing it on his machine, may not work. Only way to know is to try it.
3. You may be violating the licensing agreements for that game.

lovinglife

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

It's a PC game.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Any of a number of compression products. WinRAR, 7Zip, WinZip.
However...after compression it will not be playable unless you decompress it. You can't play a game while it is a .zip.

lovinglife

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

Actually, I want to know how much size will be after the game is compressed, As game is of 8gb so ? And will I loose anything like sounds or something ?

USAFRet

Illustrious

No way to predict what any particular file will squeeze down to.
And after uncompress, it 'should' all be there.

What are you trying to do here?

lovinglife

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

I have this game in my PC. I want to mail it to my friend.. I was wandering If I can compress it minimum, so I can send it comfortably cause my Internet kinda sucks.

USAFRet

Illustrious
1. As said, there is no way to predict the final size. You'll just have to try it.
2. Compressing the game in its installed state on your machine, then him uncompressing it on his machine, may not work. Only way to know is to try it.
3. You may be violating the licensing agreements for that game.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.