Computer Crashes On Game Start

CabooseMSG

Honorable
May 20, 2012
My Laptop, a Sager NP9150 with a Radeon 7970m keeps crashing when I start a game, or soon after the game starts. I've tried it with multiple games and it happens, not all the time, but most of the time. I dont think my cards are bad, I checked device manager and everything is working properly. I'm currently running the 14.1 driver for my radeon, I also have a second card, an Intel HD 4000.

I believe it to be the 7970's fault because I can browse the web and watch netflix and stuff fine, but when I go to play a game, and the better card kicks in, thats when it seems to crash. The game will always just freeze and then the computer becomes unresponsive. There's no black or BSOD or anything, just a frozen screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IInuyasha74

Honorable
There are some things to try. First update your graphics driver. The 14.1 driver is a bit old now.

If that doesn't fix it, right click the game's exe file and tell it to run with the Intel HD 4000, if it doesn't crash then, your 7970m is probably dead.

CabooseMSG

Honorable
May 20, 2012
I tried finding a new driver using the amd software and using the raptr gaming program, and both say my 7970m is up to date. If it does end uo being the 7970m, is there anything I can do? My device manager says the 7970m is working properly

CabooseMSG

Honorable
May 20, 2012
I tried it with the graphics card disabled and it worked but with it enabled it crashed immediatrlt after loading. It gets stuck reatarting now. Im typing on my phone. It keeps trying to start then blackscreening and my fan goes crazy forcing me to hard restart.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Sorry for the slow reply, was away. It definitely sounds like the 7970m has died. They tend to overheat when they go bad, so even if it runs for a few seconds, long enough to load, the second it really starts working the heat builds up and crashes.

You might be lucky and have one that can be replaced, but if not you will be stuck with the Intel HD 4000 graphics on that system.

CabooseMSG

Honorable
May 20, 2012
What do you mean by might be able to be replaced? As in warranty coverage? Or do you mean like the setup of the computer? Its a Sager, are those supposed to have easy access GPUs?

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Sager is typically a higher end model of laptop. In some higher end gaming laptops the GPU is removable, and thus can be replaced. It is kind of rare, but I mention it because it is worth checking to see if yours can do that. If so you could buy a replacement online somewhere.
Most likely though you are stuck with the Intel HD 4000 though.