Computer doesnt recognise my headset is plugged in

chaza99999

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
recently i was replacing my old graphics card with a new one and after i tried to replace it i realised i didnt have the correct cables so i put it back. after i booted the computer back up i got a red cross over the speaker icon with the message "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" ive tried uninstalling the audio cards and downloading a new one but nothing i do seems to work. any help is appreciated

Solution
Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town and pleasantly disconnected :)

Here's how to work around that error: http://windowsreport.com/the-best-driver-software-is-already-installed-windows-10/

smashjohn

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
If you right-click on your 'speaker icon' and select 'playback devices', you should see a list of installed playback devices. One of them has a green check mark on it; this signifies it is your 'default device' and 'default communications device'. Right click on the device you want to use and click 'set as default device' (you may want to right click on this device again and click 'set as default communications device').

It is likely that the card you installed included HDMI based audio support and these defaults got changed. They probably did not change back when you changed your card again. Manually changing your default devices should fix the problem.

Good Luck!

chaza99999

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

i have a list of 4 devices for some reason and it says they are all unplugged even though it is correctly plugged into the correct jack, i have tried the front and back panel and also different headphones and nothing. i also resorted to factory resetting my entire pc and nothing and I'm beginning to think this is a hardware issue. maybe i unplugged something to do with the audio?

chaza99999

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

they are all called "Digital Audio (HDMI)" all unplugged :/ which is weird because they arent hdmi they are plugged via audio jack

smashjohn

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Those are the 4 hdmi ports on your graphics card. This means that your on-board audio is not installed or is having an error.

You want to go to your windows RUN prompt and type DEVICE MANAGER. This should bring up your Device Manager. Look through the list for anything with a yellow (!) next to it, or a red ↓ (down arrow) next to it. You want to RIGHT-CLICK and UNINSTALL any/all of these devices. You can't do any harm here; if they that the exclamation point or down arrow, they are not functioning because of either an error or because they have been disabled. After UNINSTALL, Reboot.

Your computer will re-detect and re-install this hardware (drivers). Hopefully this will reinstall your missing audio system.

chaza99999

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

unfortunately the indicators you're talking about are not there, will me unplugging my wireless adaptor have anything to do with it thats the only other thing i can think of :(

smashjohn

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
What's your computer or motherboard (manufacturer/model)? Usually Wifi is combined with Bluetooth; I haven't seen it combined with Audio before. Usually the audio controller is a chip on the motherboard and can't be removed. But it might be worth reinstalling it to see if your audio controller shows back up in windows?

In the device manager, under SOUND or SOUND VIDEO & GAME CONTROLLERS, what is listed?

Did you make any changes in your Bios? It is possible to turn off your sound card in the bios and prevent Windows from seeing it.

chaza99999

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model M5A78L-M LE (AM3R2)

my audio driver is called "High definition audio device" and ive tried installing realtek but it just doesn't install. ill try reinstalling my wireless receiver but it means ill have to go back to my old graphics card and if that doesnt work ill try what you said in the bios

thanks for all the help btw appreciate it

smashjohn

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Uninstall the High Definition Audio Device, Reboot and let it reinstall. That should be your Realtek audio controller. It's using the generic windows driver; it should be called the RealTek High Definition Audio (or something similar).

When you reinstalled your Audio driver, did you download the latest vesrion from the ASUS website?: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LE/HelpDesk_Download/

chaza99999

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

when i try to install the asus driver after restarting it just installs the windows default one for some reason

smashjohn

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
You'll need to unzip the Audio Drivers (from the link I posted) into a folder.

Under DEVICE MANAGER, Right Click the High Definition Audio Device, click UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE, select BROWSE MY COMPUTER, and find the folder you unzipped the Audio Driver too. It looks like these are Vista64 drivers, so dig down into the Vista64 driver (..\driver\vista64) and select an INF file. click ok. This should pull up the correct driver and let you manually install it.

There is also a hotfix included with this driver package, but not description of what it hot fixes. You might try running it in case it is related to this issue.

chaza99999

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

so when i try manually updating the driver it tells me that the default windows one is the best driver thats already installed and wont give me the option of installing the asus one myself

then when i try to use the hotfix it gives me this error "Does not support this Operating System : WNT_6.2H_64" even though i have windows 10 and downloaded the windows 10 drivers. this is making me go insane :mad:

smashjohn

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town and pleasantly disconnected :)

Here's how to work around that error: http://windowsreport.com/the-best-driver-software-is-already-installed-windows-10/

Solution

chaza99999

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

thanks for all your help bro but i ended up just buying a new motherboard, what i think has happened is windows have updated windows 10 and now my motherboard isnt compatible with the current drivers, i gave ASUS an email and thats basically what they told me.