Computer Motherboard and Surround Sound Support

Cle8k

Prominent
May 11, 2017
I have the ASUS Strix z270f motherboard in my PC, and I'm looking into buying a surround sound setup for my room. I've never looked into sound - devices, connectivity, compatibility, ect. - before today, and I'd like to make sure I don't miss something before making a purchase. This might read more like I'm "thinking out loud," and I've put a "?" next to things I'm unsure of.
From the research I've done, I believe my motherboard will run the system I'm looking into. The sound system I'd like to purchase is advertised as 5.1 audio, and has a soundbar, a subwoofer, and two rear speakers.
My motherboard has 8-channel HD audio, which from what I gather is equivalent to 7.1? surround sound, and will run 8? individual speakers.
Also, I believe the sound system has input ports for HDMI, Optical, or AUX. From what I gather, HDMI may give the highest sound quality. I'm not doing any professional work though, and should be fine with Optical, the second? highest quality. A single? optical cable will supply all the speakers with the correct audio.
Are my assumptions correct? Is there anything else I should look out for? Thank you in advanced. I'm very new to this and appreciate the feedback.

Solution
7.1 is 8 channels yes.
HDMI will carry the audio and has the benefit of an all in one cable, HDMI carries audio and video.
optical will provide for all the channels

R_1

Estimable
Herald
7.1 is 8 channels yes.
HDMI will carry the audio and has the benefit of an all in one cable, HDMI carries audio and video.
optical will provide for all the channels

Solution

TRENDING THREADS