Computer Only outputs Stereo to Surround Sound

nano134

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012
I am running two GeForce 560 Ti's, and using the top one for my Monitor and TV displays.

My setup is as follows
560Ti >HDMI> TV >S/PDIF> Philips 5.1 Surround Sound System

The reason I output from my PC to TV and not PC to the surround receiver is because the receiver only has one digital audio input, and the rest are stereo RCA inputs (meaning Pro Logic II at best.) If I use the one digital audio on the receiver to hook-up to my TV, all my devices (PS3, Cable Box, PC - all HDMI) should be able to play in 5.1 surround when available.

In my playback devices I set my TV (Insignia NS-50E440NA14, NVIDIA High Definition Audio) to be my default device. In the properties window under the Supported Formats tab, it says only 2 channels are supported, with Dolby Digital Encoding. In the configure window, I can only select stereo.

In my TV configuration, I have the TV speakers set to off and Digital Audio/SPDIF setting set to output RAW data. The TV Manual claims the TV "supports 5.1 audio", and with an option for RAW output, I can't see why not. So in theory the TV should be able to process the digital 5.1 channel audio from my computers HDMI and output it to my receiver through the digital S/PDIF port.

I have the latest NVIDIA drivers, and I have tried everything. I've read that if the NVIDIA driver recognizes the device as a TV, it will automatically limit the output to two-channel stereo. Is there a way to bypass this? I've also read that keeping it at stereo WILL send it unencoded and it should actually be surround, but through test files that play a sound from each speaker, it seemed like it was stereo and backwards.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, and apologies for the long post. I tried to keep it organized.

nano134

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012

I would assume that the TV should be set to RAW data then, correct?

When trying the integrated graphics HDMI, setting the default device to my TV (Intel Display Audio) yielded the same results as the discrete graphics driver. I could easily use my mobo's S/PDIF output straight to the receiver, but then all my other devices wouldn't output sound through it, so that's incredibly inconvenient.